Replace 49 special deluxe flat 6 with v8

lwebb

You will probably have to change out the front suspension as the steering box is an issue for clearance.

I think 'Fat Man' sells a kit that uses a Chevrolet Cavalier rack and pinion unit that mounts rear and lets you maintain the original suspension. Couldn't tell you if it has the correct geometry or not, but I would think it would lead to bump steer problems. Might also lead to oil pan problems.

If it were me I might look into grafting in a V8 Volare front clip, then you could use any small block Mopar engine trans combination and would have the correct geometry.

Either way it is a major undertaking. Steering column, brake master, front body mounts etc. Then comes the wiring, charging system, gauges, radio, heater, lights.........

On the other hand, if you are just going to be driving local the flathead six should do alright and all you would have to do is build a hitch, don't rely on the bumper.

Fun Stuff for sure.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Thanks Jack, I thought about a front clip but was advised against it on another forum. I wish I'd started here. I just bought a disk brake conversion kit and having it put on.

Yeah I wish it would do the deed like it is. I love the 6 but my business is making parts for vintage travel trailers and while I will be using this as my daily driver, I will also be pulling trailers up to 24 feet. All with ele brakes of course.

Any sugestions on what might be a good choice for a MOPAR small v8? I was hoping to fnd someone who had done it that would share what all I need to do. In detail.

Lanny

I guess you should look into that Fatman kit. At least it will get the steering gear out of your way. I don't think that this can be done with power steering.

No big deal on whet small block that you choose. Just be aware that the 360s are a bit different than the 318s as far as balancing so make sure you match the tranny to the engine. 360 is externally balanced and the other sbs are internally balanced. Also the 360 oil pan wont fit the others.

As for details, After you get your steering and brakes done I guess you need to dangle your engine over the chassis and build some mounts. Then change out the rear end so you will have a parking brake. Have a driveline made and wire it up. Simple right?

Simple? Well, I think for now my plan is to stay with the six and see how it pulls. Disk brakes on front go on next week with a new master cylinder. Then Radial tires, then have the frame reinforced and a trailer hitch made, add the brake controler for the trailer brakes and rear air shocks then hook up for a test drive. Several folks have said they thought it would pull my smaller 15 foot rig on the interstate keeping it under 65. For the most part I'll be on GA and Fla roads which are pancakes compared to what you have in Oregon.

Lanny

Its just water. LOL

Actually the eastern side is high desert and stays cold all winter, then the mountains of coarse. But what we call the valley gets quite a bit of rain, keeps it nice and green though.

Even wetter at the coast.

Build a 264-hard to find or a 250-plentiful-cam it-balance-headers-duel carb with electronic ignition. T5 overdrive trans with a 83/4 rear. that would be bullet prove-look period correct and cheaper. If a 33 Ply in 33 can pull this as pictured. You would have no problems pulling your trailer. Have to convert to 12 volts for trailer brakes unless you use surge brakes on trailer.

post-78906-143142752224_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142752224_thumb.jpg