1915 studebaker

pgb123

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1915 Studebaker touring car. I am interested in it to learn more about the early mechanics of the car. I would like to hear from people who have done restorations on a car as early as this and listen to their advice. I have done a restoration on a couple of other cars, but I recognize that parts for this car are not like a model t ford. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I am a little apprehensive of taking on this project. Thank, Paul

Well, the good thing about restoring an early car is that you don't have a $20,000 chroming bill! Early cars are reasonably easy to restore, compared to some of the more complicated later cars. This is partially offset by the fact that if parts are missing or broken, they may be hard to find, and in all probability fabrication is the easiest, but more expensive, way to replace them.

I'd make a broad comment that some may disagree with: on earlier cars, having complete mechanicals is more important than body condition. Early body pieces are fairly easy to fabricate, such as fenders. On later cars, body condition is more important, as it's easier to fix mechanical issues and find mechanical parts.

It's a Horseless Carriage car, go for it!!

Running? Drivable? Four cylinder or six? The four cylinder ones are easier to deal with. By comparison parts are easier to find. The unique feature of Studes of this vintage is the transmission is mounted in unit with the rear axle. They are an easy car to drive.

Terry

post-30776-143142734696_thumb.jpg

Is it a Six or Four? Studebaker made both. You should get a serial number to determine the series. In that era most Studebakers were identified by series. For example there was a 1916 Series 16 and a 1916 Series 17. In 1915 4 and 6 looked identical except for the wheelbase (108” on the Four as contrasted to the 121” on the Six, visually the Six had a longer hood). The Four was designated as the model SD and was originally available only as a roadster or touring. In mid model year they introduced a light commercial vehicle or station wagon. The Six was referred to as the model EC and it was also available as a roadster or touring but a limousine was also available. The domestic serial number range for the SD Four was 423001 to 447419 (engine numbers 4C-2001 to 4C-44931). The EC Six serial range 500001 to 504483 (engine numbers 6C-12001 to 6C-20787). Canadian built cars, mostly built for export, carried the following serials, SD 449001 to 449443 and the EC 603001 to 603183.

The 1915 models were built in the Detroit plant from June 1914 thru June 1915. Therefore some may have been registered or titled as 1914 models depending upon the policies of the state or country in which they were first sold. Also some entities used the motor number for registrations so that could make things a bit murky. The 1915 cars were easily identifiable since they had the ridges in the hood and no cloisonné radiator badge (The 1916 did have the badge) and the gas filler was inside the car (whereas the 1914’s had it on the outside on the cowl). I hope this is sufficient to answer the inquiry. I have lots more photos and mechanical data if needed. (Richard Quinn 9-24-14)

Thank you for your encouragement. Now I have a reason to go to Hershey! I forgot to include that the car is a 4 cylinder engine and the trans-axle transmission. I am waiting for a friend to get back to me with the serial number. The model number is a SD as from the forum information. I do remember that the car was manufactured in 1914 and is listed as a 1915. There is no radiator badge. The car was modified to a pickup. The back half of the touring car was removed and there is another back that comes with it.

One issue I am trying to remember about Studebaker is that did Studebaker change to new models half way through the year on all cars, or was this process done for a period of time and then stopped? I can see how confusing it can be to register a car as a 1914 or 1915.

Edited by pgb123
more information (see edit history)

Thank you for your encouragement. Now I have a reason to go to Hershey! I forgot to include that the car is a 4 cylinder engine and the trans-axle transmission. I am waiting for a friend to get back to me with the serial number. The model number is a SD as from the forum information. I do remember that the car was manufactured in 1914 and is listed as a 1915. There is no radiator badge. The car was modified to a pickup. The back half of the touring car was removed and there is another back that comes with it.

One issue I am trying to remember about Studebaker is that did Studebaker change to new models half way through the year on all cars, or was this process done for a period of time and then stopped? I can see how confusing it can be to register a car as a 1914 or 1915.

They continued to change or upgrade models basically when they felt like it until the end of the 1920s.

Terry