Horn not working

MikeC5

I'm trying to trouble shoot why my horn isn't working... I verified that the horn itself is not the problem by bypassing everything direct to battery. I do measure 12 volts at one of the two horn wires and the other wire does complete the circuit to ground when the horn button is pushed (I get around 1.6 ohms). When I testing it directly on the battery it worked independent of polarity. I tried grounding the horn case with a separate wire... Any other things I should check?

On the wire that you tested at 12 volts of the two, that side of the horn's coil may be shorted to the horn case.

I am guessing from your description that the horn, when working, is not attached to the car. That you are holding it in free air when you can get it to work?

That's the best I can do from your description. ;)

Have you had the steering wheel off?

You have to pull it in order to find out what's going on with the contact business below the wheel.

There is a spring loaded "brush" (it functions like a brush) which contacts an insulated "commutator" which turns with the wheel.

The spring loaded pin beneath the horn button will reveal itself when you unscrew the horn button from the steering column.