Cool story of a radio repair for a 62 Chrysler done in OZ Land.

Copy and paste from the Imperial forum. Thought it was worth sharing.

Hi people, I've just picked up the radio for my 62 from my repair guy, he thought he was in big trouble when he found the electric drive motor for the auto tuning was 'cactus'. Trying to find a new one or even a used one in Australia for a 52 year old American car would be virtually impossible. He had a think and hunted in his 'junk' box and came up with a 12 volt 'stepper motor' out of a wrecked Epson printer/photocopier, (the motor that dives the belt that carries the print head back and forth across the paper when printing), he had to file a couple of flats on the motor shaft and re hash the mounting to get it to fit but after about 2 hours in the workshop the radio's back in the car and working perfectly. Physical size of the motor is almost identical.

If someone tells you something can't be fixed because it's too old and you can't get parts, that's crap, "If man made it man can fix it"!

Tony

Downunder in Oz

__._,_.___

your radio guy reminds me of my grandfather.he made things if he did not have it, and he could fix anything.if someone tells you that a part cannot be gotten, it just means they don't have it or sell it. I have found that out many times in this hobby, and even with newer cars. capt den