Just found a new place to buy project cars..

nick8086

Guest AlCapone

my father always said to avoid the project cars. Instead he said to find a car that was completed where a guy spent 20K and 5000 hours and buy it when it goes for sale for $10,000. I have followed his advice many, many times !

Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

my father always said to avoid the project cats. Instead he said to find a car that was completed where a guy spent 20K and 5000 hours and buy it when it goes for sale for $10,000. I have followed his advice many, many times !

Wayne

Good advice which I pass on to any potential customers who talk to us about restoring a car. . Happily though there are those who enjoy the trip as much, if not more, than the destination.

Guest AlCapone
Good advice which I pass on to any potential customers who talk to us about restoring a car. . Happily though there are those who enjoy the trip as much, if not more, than the destination.

Well said my friend and that makes you a very honest and trustworthy businessman ! For those than can afford it and enjoy the trip I say wonderful. For the others I say lets get it on the road because today is the first day of the rest of our life !

Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

my father always said to avoid the project cats. Instead he said to find a car that was completed where a guy spent 20K and 5000 hours and buy it when it goes for sale for $10,000. I have followed his advice many, many times !

Wayne

I have heard this wisdom many times and I guess if you are paying someone to do your restoration it is very true. I found however, that if restoration is something you do for fun and relaxation, it is probably not true!! In addition to the pleasure it gives you to bring a relic back to life, it is likely close to the same cost to restore a basket case as it is to "refresh" a running driving vehicle. I have restored a couple of "basket cases" and decided that for the 1947 pickup I wanted, I was going to find a somewhat "nicer" car to start with and make an easier project. I sold a very rough specimen I had, and purchased a "#3" car at the Spring Auctions America event at Auburn. After getting it home and driving it a little, I decided that to meet AACA standards (and mine), it needed a frame off (I hate that term...it's body off!!) restoration. The more I removed, the more I realized that what I was doing was EXACTLY what I would have had to do for a total rust bucket!!

The body is now in primer; Upon removing the paint, I found that, it needed almost as many repairs to bring it up to my standards as the rust bucket would have. The difference is that I had to do even more work to take the paint , lead, and bondo off of the "better " vehicle!! The engine, which I thought would just need looking over turned out to be almost a complete rebuild!! Finally, to meet show standards, the wiring harness needed replacing, and the interior had to be completely redone. Maybe I am just too picky , but at least for my cars, I will stick to bringing cars back from the scrap yard!!! Cost is the same and the satisfaction is greater!! BTW, I will premier the truck at Hilton Head in November and try for AACA awards next spring at Charlotte and Va. Beach!! It might be fun to take it back to Auburn next year too!!

Guest AlCapone

Dave I totally agree with you. But you must admit that to have your skills and ability is very unique. For every Dave there is 999 Waynes that neither have the required skills or abilities to tackle such an undertaking. And to the Daves in this world I tip my hat to you because you are the types that are saving our historic vehicles from becomming metal book ends ! Please, keep up the great work ! My kudos to you .

Wayne

I know a guy who says "Do as I say, not as I do." The last time I bought a project car the woman at the collector car insurance company said "and you get the mulit-car benefit." There is just no incentive NOT to buy them. I buy them, enjoy learning about the marque, daydream about them, get distracted and sell them. Every decade one sticks.

Bernie

I clicked on the link and looked all over the WIN-TRY Motors website, but did not find a physical location for the company. Just idle curiosity on my part, but it seems that more and more folks are only listing their email addresses or phone numbers. A sign of the times ... I guess.

Grog

From the website, this looks like a good place to pick up a "new" project car. It's apparently run by an enthusiast and not a wrecking yard type who will: "crush these things unless you buy them right now". Since the owner acquired these cars and parts with the thought of restoring them, they are probably in a bit better shape than the run-of-the-mill junk yard specimens. If anyone actually buys from this location, let us know how it went.

I wish I was closer to South Kansas. It would be cool to look this collection over, especially with the possibility of purchasing part of it. I hear it's starting to get cold (<60*F.) in Kansas now, so I guess I'll just stay in Florida for now.:D

Cheers,

Grog

like some say I enjoy working on the cars myself . I have done a number of cars for that I tour with , I don't like doing show cars because then people don't drive them.Cars are suppose to be driven . When more cars are being done by shops that what has put this hobby above most peoples head .( money ) Howard

I myself enjoy restoring and working on antique cars and you are correct it is less expensive buying one already done. But when I am asked who restored it there is something in it when you can say you did it yourself than saying I bought it this way. Another point of doing it yourself is the cost of the tools and machines that you need to do a restoration. I am sure I could purchase a 1930 Duesenberg Model J Dual Cowl Phaeton if I sold all my equipment. My son asked the wife seeing I am retired when am I going to stop buying tools and machinery I told him I an buying for his yard sale when I am gone.