Carburetor issue

Jrbrks

I purchased a '29 135 Victoria, which had been stored in a temperature controlled warehouse since approximately 1976.

Seller indicated he paid a mechanic to clean the gas tank and install a Zenith 525S to get the engine running.

I had terrible issues getting the car to start and/or run beyond an idle. Attempting to increase the throttle resulted in immediate stalling. It seemed to get worse with each passing day.

I traveled for 10 days and found the throttle linkage on the carburetor stuck and very difficult to move.

I pulled the carburetor off the engine and found the carburetor coated on the inside with a black, tar-like sticky and gummy residue. I used a mirror and could see it was lining the inside of the intake manifold to the top. It is not a thick layer but seems paper thin on the intake except in the "corners" where it is a bit thicker residue.

It is a thin sticky layer that seems to have hardened somewhat now that I have removed the carburetor and allowed the residual gasoline to dry out.

At first, I thought the mechanic had used a large amount of gasket sealant on the gaskets, when he installed the new carburetor. But, there is so much residue in the carburetor and intake that it seems inconceivable that much sealant could have been used.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what this residue is and how to clean it out?

Is it something that could have been left since the mid-70's?

The fuel in the tank seems OK and there is a fuel filter near the fuel tank. This type of residue would quickly clog any filter, unless it was completely soluble in the gasoline and only precipitated out in the heat of the intake manifold and the carburetor?

I would not want to install another carburetor without some idea how to prevent this or fix this problem.

I appreciate any ideas.

Jim

Hi Jim -

You are describing fuel varnish from long storage. Our fuel today will slowly dissolve the varnish and wreak havoc. You will need to find a way to clean it from the fuel tank through to the carburetor. You do not necessarily have to clean it in the intake manifold as running will clean it although if the valves are badly varnished and do not seal, or are gummy in their guides, you will need to clean them before the car will be able to run well.

Depending on the condition of your gas tank, you may be able to dissolve the varnish with alcohol and flush it clean. Same for the fuel line. Or you can fill the fuel lines with carb cleaner and spray them until clear. But I have found really bad varnish to require scrubbing to get out of lines. IN a recent case, it was so bad that fuel line repalcement was easier. It all depends on how bad your case is. If you don't get it all out, it may continue to gum up throttle linkage.

Some swear by adding StarTron fuel system cleaner. I have no data to comment accurately - especiually on badly varnished systems.

The carburetor should come completely apart to be thoroughly cleaned no matter what. The economizer and pump valves can be sticky without you knowing it from an outside inspection.

Tom Rasmussen