1930 Model A Murray Timing gear

Guest Soddy

1930 Model A Ford with timing gear that needs to be replaced. Do I need to pull engine with first removal of radiator? I have read there is a way of replacing the fiber gear without pulling the radiator. The gear on the cam is free of nicks and wear.

Thanks

Soddy,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. While it might be easier to reach the timing gear with the radiator removed, it is NOT necessary to pull the engine or remove the radiator to change the timing gear. I suggest you pick up a copy of the Model A Ford Mechanic's Handbook by Les Andrews. A step by step list of how to replace the Timing Gear is located on page 1-324 of the Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook.

Neither the radiator nor the engine needs to be removed to replace the timing gear. We just replaced one on a car that attended the New England Meet on Long Island two weeks ago in the repair tent in the parking lot. You need to support the engine because the front mount (yoke) needs to be removed because it bolts to the timing gear cover. You'll need to remove the generator to take the timing cover off because it too bolts to the timing cover. There's a special nut that requires a special socket to remove that holds the gear on the camshaft. The major vendors sell it. Reinstalling can be tricky as it is often hard to see the timing mark on the crank gear. Match up the timing mark on the crank gear and the dimple on the timing gear, and turn the camshaft until the mounting studs line up with the holes in the gear and the gear will slip in place.

Soddy,

If you are only pulling the engine to replace the timing gear, you are doing a lot of extra work for nothing. Pulling the engine is not too hard but replacing it will often make you pull your hair out trying to align the rear engine support bolts. If you need to pull the engine for some other reason, OK, but I really suggest you reconsider pulling the engine unnecessarily.

Soddy,

Glad you joined our FORUM, and please listen to Matt's advice.

I expect to be driving through your hometown in the next several days on our way home from Montana. If you will click on my name at left upper, email me your contact info and I'll send you mine as well. maybe we can get together before your travels.

Marty

Make sure the spring loaded plunger which fits into the timing gear cover and puts pressure against the cam shaft is in good condition and very well lubricated when reassembled. If not, you'll get a knock that sounds less then pleasant.

If you are going to drive your Model A great distances, you might want to consider using a non-fiber timing gear. If you do use a fiber timing gear, please use one of the good quality gears. Some of the cheaper reproductions do not hold up well. Also, make sure that the timing gear goes onto the camshaft perfectly straight or premature failure is a possibility and the lash between the crank and camshaft gears is correct. While you can replace the timing gear without removing the radiator, I find that it is easier to do a better job with the radiator removed so you can clearly see what you are doing and can make sure everything is going back with proper alignment.

Thanks everyone for your knowledge in this matter. Special thanks to Matry and Dale when they stopped by the house for a look see this afternoon.

Soddy