Hupp J & W interchange.

Guest antiqueautoguy

Guest antiqueautoguy

Hi, Im just new to this forum. I have a 34 421J Aero victoria sedan, and have been offered the running gear from a 35 517W. This includes engine, gearbox, diff, steering box and front end. I am hoping someone can confirm whether or not this is the same running gear as my 34 has. What I need to get the car back on the road are a good engine, steering box and the steering arm which bolts to the stub axle, so confirmation that these parts in particularly will fit would be a huge help. The parts are 11 hours away from me, so advice would helpful, so I don't take a long drive for nothing. Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Direct interchangeable parts I can confirm from a book are:

Clutch throwout bearing

Clutch shaft bearings

Clutch plates

Transmission

Rear wheel bearings (axles don't seem to be a match though)

Front inner wheel bearings (hubs/spindles are not a match)

Front outer wheel bearings

The engines are not an exact match because they are a different HP but the clutch and gearbox are so who knows... You would want to measure your motor mounts to confirm that I guess.

You can compare the specs of the cars at http://restorecarsclassifieds.com/wiki/

What state are the parts located in? I am curious to know if I am aware of them already...I have a 417W. There is a driveline from a car bigger than a 417W in NC.

Cheers, Steve

Guest antiqueautoguy

Hi Steve.

Thanks very much for your reply. It looks as though the W is almost a completely different car to the J. I thought it may have only been different body wise. These cars and I are in New Zealand. They sold new here, but in small numbers only, so survivors are rare, which is why I was hoping these parts would work.

Cheers, Kim.

Hi Kim,

I would go check the parts out. The W only has 11" brakes but the wheel alignment info is the same so it should be close enough? The front axle tube and tie rod parts are a match.

Please let us know what is available from the 517W, there are a couple of us after parts from one. I am going to revive an old post and put photos of a drivetrain available from it.

Regards, Steve

Guest antiqueautoguy

Hi Steve,

Thanks again, those photos would be real handy, particularly of the engine and steering arm. The steering arms on all the right hand drive cars all seem to crack, so if I can see a photo of a W one it would give me an Idea if this would work on the J, even with some alteration. The car(s) the parts are coming from is a coupe which was restored and then seriously side swiped while parked on the side of a road, it was considered beyond repair. A restorer bought it and it sat while he did other cars, in the mean time he found a rough paddock car sedan, that would provide another frame etc. His wife never drove his cars ( hes got 10 vintage and veteran cars ) so hes decided to resto rod the coupe, hence the running gear being available. He says he has some panel parts left over all so.

Cheers, Kim.

Guest antiqueautoguy

Thanks Steve, I emailed and received a reply that the parts have sold. Unfortunately because of a pop up blocker and me not be great with computers I didnt get to see the photos. I have how ever decide to proceed and get the engine, gearboxes and steering pieces. Thanks again for your help. Cheers, Kim.

Guest antiqueautoguy

Hi Max, thanks. I had spoken to Ron actually, he reconfirmed the engine will fit, but was unsure about the rest. Incidentally he mentioned a chap from Oz had recently been over and bought a bunch of stuff off him. Do you know of anyone who would have a steering arm over there? Cheers, Kim.