Wheel size - then and now

Rogillio

I may not be using the right terminology but I believe larger wheels effectively raise the overall gearing - contributing to better mpg. On the other hand, wider tires cause more drag, so have the effect of reducing mpg.:confused:

I suppose comparing old with new is a bit like chalk and cheese. Modern wheels and radial ply tires are immeasurably safer in terms of handling and braking than the wooden wheels and cross ply tires of the 'twenties but taking that into consideration, in my opinion, they are hard on the eye when fitted to antique cars.

Ray.

Totally agree Ray. Nothing screams 'rat rod' faster than modern wheels on a vintage car.

I guess i should be thankful to the rat rod folks.....it makes my 'original' that much rarer.

I will not be getting into the stock v rod debate here because criticism seems offend the sensibilities of some other forum contributors. On balance, however, I am more resentful of rat rods than well crafted full blown hot rods. If one is to create a monster car, at least do it properly! :P

Ray.

I believe the large diameter wheels, as were used on buggies and early automobiles, were intended to provide a smoother ride by not dipping down into pot holes very deeply on crude or non-existent roads, and nowadays the same theory is being used to compensate for the poorly maintained roads many of us are forced to endure. It seems that we've come full circle.