55 Buick bumper help

Cyanide747

Hey guys and gals,

I've finally gotten around to putting my rechromed bumpers back on my 55 super however I've run into a slight problem. The brackets for the front bumper that goes from the bullets to the bumper bolt holes do not line up. It seems to be 1.5 to 2 inches inboard of where the holes are.

I've been scratching my head all day and have tried every possible position for setting these up to no avail. After my 2nd beer of the evening I gave up and decided to see if anyone around here knows what I might be doing incorrectly.

Thanks for reading,

-pete

Leif, Paul,

thanks for for the uploads. Paul, the photos you provided are exactly what I was looking for. It confirms that I am trying to put the brackets on correctly. However I still have 1.5-2" difference where the actual bumper bolts line up with the brackets. The holes in the brackets are to the center of the bumper by that amount but are lined up top to bottom.

I dont remember having that much of a discrepancy when I took the bumpers off. Also I thought maybe that bracket might have a bit of springy-ness to it so I could pull it over but the bracket is pretty substantial in thickness.

More possible questions: are all of the parts from your car and maybe not mixed up with a different car?...brackets may be from a 50-70 series trying to fit to a 40-60 series. Chrome shops often have to cut the inside brace from the bullets to straighten...installed correctly?

Old tank,

they are the same pieces that I took off of the car and disassembled myself. I have a couple spare bumpers that have the bolt holes in the exact same location. I think what I might have to do is make up some kind of bracket that gives me the extension that I need for the piece the only other option I see is to heat it up and bend in the arms but I'm a little afraid of doing that and miscalulating the bend. It's puzzling to me how it could be that far off. Appropriately I named the car pandora because of the trouble she's given me since I got her but cruising down the street and getting thumbs ups and waves at makes it all worthwhile.

Come to think of it the chrome shop did have to pop the insides of the bullets off to fix severe dents. I'm thinking that they ended up putting the plates back in the incorrect place. That might have something to do with it. Though from my recollection they appear to be right.

Pete, a Super, 50 series is about 4inches wider than a 40-60 series. Is it possible that they sent you a bumper for a smaller series. The bumper on my Special measures about 75 1/2 inches from tip to tip. spacing between the center 2 holes on mine is 15 1/4 inches. Your bullets and upper bumper pieces will bolt on to either size. Did you mark your bumper before you sent it out?

Stean

Stean,

thank you you for that piece of information. Today I pulled a spare bumper from the rafters and measured tip to tip. 80"

I measured my rechromed bumper and it measures 75".

That pretty much solves the case as to why the brackets don't line up. I called the chrome shop that did the job and their number was disconnected and it appears they are no longer in business. So if anyone is looking for a special, century main front bumper that is in pristine triple plated beautifully finished chrome give me a shout. Looks like I'll be hunting for a bumper to have replated. There goes my chance to drive her this year.

A a huge thank you to all who replied to this thread. I couldn't have figured it out without you

-Pete

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I would have been interested in the bumper if it were this time last year when I was looking for one but I ended up having mine chromed then..............timing is everything.

I'm sure you will find it very easy to sell and hope you have luck in getting the correct one for your 55

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...