Rear brake noise 56 Windsor, 60 Adventurer

torry61

On both my 56 Windsor & 60 Adventurer, the rear brakes howls after sitting for a day or so when you firsty start to move. After driving a few feet, the noise stops & doesn't reappear till the car(s) sit again. The exception to this is the DeSoto where the rear brake actually locks up & stops the car when uou first starts to move, this to stops after driving a few feet.

Is this worth taking on removing the rear drums on these cars?

Thanks.

Torry

On both my 56 Windsor & 60 Adventurer, the rear brakes howls after sitting for a day or so when you firsty start to move. After driving a few feet, the noise stops & doesn't reappear till the car(s) sit again. The exception to this is the DeSoto where the rear brake actually locks up & stops the car when uou first starts to move, this to stops after driving a few feet.

Is this worth taking on removing the rear drums on these cars?

Thanks.

Torry

Its highly likely that the rear wheel cylinders are seizing "on" and not releasing after first application.

Unfortunately this is a common problem with many of our older vehicles that don't get a lot of use, the wheel cylinder rubbers, when not in use, tend to have residue or corrosion grow around them and stick in place when the brake cylinder wall becomes corroded; after first application the piston and bucket seals move out under hydraulic pressure and then grab or partially stick "on" instead of returning to the released position.

Sadly there is only one solution, remove the brake drums and repair or replace the cylinders, now removing the rear brake drums, well that's another saga entirely.

Be a strong man that knows how to use a quality 3 leg drum puller (Snap on ect) and a big hammer.No pansy asses need be here!

Use a 5 lb hammer and bang like a big man on that dog bone on the end of the puller or use a high output 1/2" impact or bigger and the drums will come of pretty darn easy!

Just leave the nut on the end of the axle so the drum won't land in your lap!

A proper shop manual is good reading to do this type of brake job right right.

My 54 New Yorker also makes some noise on 1st brake application after it sits for a week or so. I attribute it to a bit of surface rust on the drum as it is worse in damp weather than when it is very dry / low humidity levels. My late model cars with discs also do the same thing. If the brakes work fine after that 1st application and you hear no unusual noises after that I would say it is just light surface rust.