1930 model 40 backfiring out carb

Dwight Romberger

I was having trouble with the Marvel (I thought) so I flipped the intake and installed a newly rebuilt and bench tested 1 barrel Rochester for a '1960-'62 261 chevy in-line six.

I closed the choke, gave it one pump and stepped on the starter. It started immediately, not even a full rotation! I slowly closed the choke.

There is however a problem. It is backfiring (flames) out the carb.

I am 99.999% sure I have the plug wires and timing correct.

Could the valves need to be adjusted?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Romberger
corrected engine size (see edit history)

Guest Rocketsled59

If it has the dual point distributor make certain the points are sync'd. One set operates half of the cyls the other operates the other half. I fought that on a 30 once.

The carburetor would either:

(1) require pressure on the fuel

OR

(2) require a MUCH larger fuel inlet to be installed in the carburetor.

If the carb you have is for a 216, it is too small.

If the carb you have is for a 235, it is marginal.

A two barrel carb from a 265/283 would be better.

If you wish to stay with a 1-barrel, a Zenith from a GMC 270 (same bolt pattern as the 235 Chevrolet, but larger internally) would work better.

Jon.

Dwight - most of the commercial rebuilders grouped the 261 carb with the 235 carb (because the 261 carb is quite rare!). 999 times out of a 1000 you would receive a 235 carb. I don't know of a single instance where someone bought one of these that was actually a 261 carb. The 235 carb should work other than for extreme high speed work.

Not grinding my own ax (sold completely out of 270 GMC carbs); but would suggest using what you have but watch the various sources for a 270 GMC carb.

Jon.

Fuel pumps should be available.

Try Then & Now Automotive in the Boston area. I think they have more fuel pumps than the rest of the antique world combined. Nice people too.

Be careful about that cliff. There is bound to be some government regulation against it! ;)

And be thankful the inlet split now. If it was that fragile, it could easily have split during rush hour traffic, creating a disaster rather than a mere inconvenience.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Well, remember I wrote I was 99.999% sure the timing was right on? Wrong! After "playing with" an electric fuel pump and two regulators (1 totally stuck open from the factory, and one factory adjusted to much higher that the 1-4 psi. they promised) I got it running. Again it would idle fine but shoot flames out the carb on acceleration.

The timing was off. I loosened the bolt on the distributer and rotated it clockwise almost as far as it would go. Now there is no backfiring, no stumbling.

I am afraid to even think of it but maybe I now have a running engine?