1924 4 cyl Buick

Guest SusanC

post-88912-14314272981_thumb.jpgI love my new "old" Buick. I'm interested in learning more about this era car and talking to people who have similar cars.

Plus, I'm always on the lookout for 'parts'. Aren't we all.

Susan

post-88912-14314272981_thumb.jpg

Oh, very nice car.

Well I had a lot of things repaired on the car just after I got her. One thing we found was the water pump shaft that runs the distributor is worn beyond use on the backside of the water pump and I need a new shaft, and nut and packing.

Also, I am missing a wheel hold down lug, bolt and nut. Also need a pivot bolt for the rt frt spring. I have contacted George McMurty about a custom hub puller but will need a rim tool, wrench for the hubcap, etc. Also, can I purchase new tires from a Ford parts house or do I need a specialty tire.

Quite a list, huh?

Mark, I haven't had the car more than a few months. I'd like to know more about them. I have the distinct impression that the 4 cyl. is relatively rare. Do you know anything about them?

Susan,

Have the same problem with the water pump shaft on my truck. I am going to have a new one made from stainless steel this winter. It would be best to find a good machinist that can use your old one as a pattern.

George only needs a good hubcap to make the hub puller. Not one that is damaged. George does GREAT work and made a puller for my one truck. Highly recommend him.

The rim tool and hub cap wrench can be found at may older swap meets or ebay. Also the hub caps come up for sale on ebay. Patience is necessary.

If you post a picture of the hub cap, one of us might have one in our collections.

Pictures of anything that you need is very helpful.

Susan,

Have the same problem with the water pump shaft on my truck. I am going to have a new one made from stainless steel this winter. It would be best to find a good machinist that can use your old one as a pattern.

George only needs a good hubcap to make the hub puller. Not one that is damaged. George does GREAT work and made a puller for my one truck. Highly recommend him.

The rim tool and hub cap wrench can be found at may older swap meets or ebay. Also the hub caps come up for sale on ebay. Patience is necessary.

If you post a picture of the hub cap, one of us might have one in our collections.

Pictures of anything that you need is very helpful.

Thanks so much for the information. I did send an email to George McMurty via his website (twice) but I have not heard back from him. Do you have an idea about replacing the wheel hold-down lug? I have seen items on ebay like the rim tool. Next time I will bid on them. I'll talk to the mechanic who did the overhaul and see if he can find someone to do a new water pump shaft using my old one as a pattern. Eventually I'm going to have to do it anyway.

Thanks again for the advice.

Susan

Susan,

The water pump shaft can be tricky to replace since it is also keyed to the timing gear that is in sync with your distributor. The easiest way to replace it is to mark it and cut it behind the timing gear so a new shaft can be made just for the water pump & distributor section. The new shaft must be machined to match the old shaft alignment. Stainless is the recommended material for the new shaft. Your machinist will probably have to replicate a new packing nut as most of the originals have been abused by previous owners using pliers and pipe wrenches.

Post the dimensions of the spring hanger pin you need. I may have a spare. There are several antique tire vendors; you are not stuck buying from any particular vendor as most have several offerings for your car. I suggest you set up a standard search on eBay for your needs.

Susan,

Hello, I like your coupe and I think it is on the rare side, it being a 4 cylinder. All coupes that I have seen are all 6 cylinders. The 4 cylinders are fairly common in the touring cars. Do you get the Bugle? The Buick magazine. I have debated it, as I like the cars of the 20s and earlier. Most cars in these magazines are of later cars. I really enjoy the Horseless Carriage magazine, but they don't put in cars of the late teens and 20s though.

I have a 1922 Buick coupe 4 cylinder. I know what you mean when searching for parts. But, finding that hard to find part is half the fun for me. The thrill of discovery! I wish I knew how to post a picture as I am not that computer literate.

There are several tire dealers out there: Coker Tire, Universal Tire, Lucas Tire, Vintage Tire, to name a few. They are not cheap though and the cost can climb when you factor in tubes, flaps and shipping. You can find the tire tool on eBay. That is where I got mine. It works really well. The hub cap tool I found in an antique shop at Exit 76 in Indiana off I-65. The shop is called Exit 76. I am headed there this weekend. They have a booth that has a lot of vintage automobile tools of all shapes and sizes. Hope I said something that was helpful?

Cheers,

Gary

Susan,

On eBay right now is a listing for NOS rim bolts. I think there were 11 or 12 bolts. Probably more than you need. Just search 1924 Buick rim bolts. It is a buy it now for $129.

Hope this helps,

Gary