Cermet additives, snake oil, or not?

Guest 1951Olds88

Guest 1951Olds88

At the risk of raising a firestorm I wanted to hear the opinions, or preferably the experiences, of fellow forum members with ceramic (cermet) additives such as Xado. They claim to work well on older engines, improving compression, HP and even gas mileage. On their own site (duh), but also places like Amazon, while there are some detractors, there seem to be more positive than negative reviews.

So what do the antique and classic cars users find. If it works it seems an ideal tool to prolong the lives of our engines.

Please jump into the discussion.....

Stefan

The major oil manufactures will be the first to tell you that if an additive exists that does all the wonderful things to protect and repair engines that snake oil salesmen would have you believe, the oil manufacturers themselves would be adding those additives to their own oil.

Guest 1951Olds88
Have you found any INDEPENDENT test results and analysis? If not, don't waste your money.

Actually, yes, the German standards organization TUV, which is pretty reputable, did report on a test that they did, using a high mileage cars. They confirmed that compression and power improved slightly, gas mileage improvement was not really noticeable. But their tests were not on old engines, just more modern engines with high mileage. That is why I was wondering if anyone with a classic car had any experience.

Thanks for reading and replying

You can't pour in repairs to worn mechanical parts.

If your car is in good health, adding something like this is merely throwing your money away on something that may do nothing at best and actually do harm at worst. Why bother? Quality oil changed regularly on a healthy car is all you need.

I first discovered this "stuff" when I bought a new issue of "MOTOR TREND", about a week ago. The ad copy reads pretty well . . . and convincingly. Reminded me of the "Restore" additive, which uses some "soft metal" which does the fill-in activity. Obviously, there might be some low spots which can be filled in by the additive.

"Increased compression", by observation, does little for power and fuel economy. It seems like it ought to, but not that I've been able to determine. The engine can run smoother, quieter, and with better efficiency, but that doesn't mean its more efficient.

I found a small can of S-W Alemite CD-2 oil additive ( thicker ) and put it in our '66 Chrysler 383. The exhaust sound became better, with a "sound of efficiency", but no real increase in fuel economy or power.

The ONLY real fix would be to pull the engine "down" and repair it as needed. But that also means more $$$$ and more downtime, which makes even the higher price "doable", although it is as high as it is.

Your money, your vehicle, etc. IF you decided if you want to try it out, don't feel bad about it. The purchase price might be a little long.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

In 1986 I bought a Pontiac (Chevette) new from a G.M. dealer. The salesperson belonged to a Christian sect that take pride in being honest and he was about to retire at the time. We started chatting and discussed extended warranty which was popular at the time. He said every manufacturer has its pull. For example G.M recommended certain oil only and to maintain the 6 months warranty the oil change had to be done in house. He was upfront. The only extended warranty, he said, is a good quality oil change regularly . Do it yourself at home.

Radiator stop leak works but temporarily. Common sense dictates if it can stop leaks by plugging holes it will also plug other unwanted areas. It is not snake oil from my experience but it is good to get you home in an emergency. About 20 years ago an inventor in Toronto invented a gadget he claimed could save more than 15 percent fuel. The city tried it for a year on a couple buses. The saving was zero. That is what I call snake oil. The inventor disappeared into thin air. Have a nice day, folks

Do it right the first time. Shortcuts leads to pitfalls

OMC (now defunct) had some engine tuner that one would spray or pour down a carburetor. Give the engine a good dose then let it sit overnight (they recommended 15 minutes) then go run it hard in the morning. Then an oil change would be in order.

This stuff would dissolve the carbon and made a distinct difference in running quality. I sold alot of it to the used car dealers in my area. I am not sure if Bombardier carried it over as I retired right when they bought out OMC (1997). But I still have a few cans left that I use on occasion. It is very caustic and has a distinct odor that I don't recommend breathing.

By the way, GM supplies Bars leaks with their targetmaster engines. Or at least used to. I wonder why.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)