Are there any members on here with a 31-33 Auburn?

auburnseeker

I may be in the Market for an Auburn and recently found a 33 8-105 Cabriolet with dual ratio rear. It appears very solid and really complete. It's running and driving. I'm wondering what Should I keep in mind as I possibly pursue it? Is there anything mechanically I should be concerned with? What are the normal acceptable operating specifications of the motor ? Oil pressure, acceptable operating temperatures, etc. Any quirks or parts that I need to make sure it has as they aren't available etc. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

• 5 weeks later...
I may be in the Market for an Auburn and recently found a 33 8-105 Cabriolet with dual ratio rear. It appears very solid and really complete. It's running and driving. I'm wondering what Should I keep in mind as I possibly pursue it? Is there anything mechanically I should be concerned with? What are the normal acceptable operating specifications of the motor ? Oil pressure, acceptable operating temperatures, etc. Any quirks or parts that I need to make sure it has as they aren't available etc. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

For me it was heating (8-105 sedan). The water jacket side plate should have a distribution plate between it and the block. The plate, as I am told, often deteriorates (sometimes to the point of there being no evidence of ever existing) resulting in heating problems. I searched the ACD forum, but the post describing this has been removed. The 8-105 has a different radiator, different intake/carb (down draft), different brakes (hydraulic), possibly different rear axle ratios (2-speed), different radiator shell (hidden rad cap), different door handles, fenders, light lenses, trim etc. Also, I've been told the rear axle is fragile and that folks often leave it in high.

Sheesh. Not to circumvent or otherwise go around your request, but a 33 Auburn Cabriolet? If it's a good car at a fair price, be all over it like white on rice, and let the idiosyncrasies fall where they may!

Beautiful cars....good luck and hope you get it!

post-31482-143142788013_thumb.jpgOK, I think I've found the car you're discussing. I believe this car has been for sale for awhile, though that particular ad shows a recent posting. Very nice looking car, and I could live with driver quality paint. The interior and top all need doing, having a good trimmer install that correctly you're looking at $3000-3500 for the top, $8000-10000 for interior in decent leather, including materials.

Based on that, I think price is a little high. My personal opinion is $40-45K should buy a car in that condition. Good luck, it does look like a solid car, and if it drives well you could enjoy it as is and work on it as time and money permits....

That is the car. I believe almost all the chrome has been done and it's totally rust/patch free. The motor was rebuilt as well. I know it will need tires now from age. 40-45 seems like it would be awfully cheap at that. sedans seem to sell in similar shape in the upper 20's. I would love to buy it at that price. I don't think he's going to go that low though. I was told by other sources on the ACD site it's been for sale for 3 years and he started out at a higher price.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]276320[/ATTACH]OK, I think I've found the car you're discussing. I believe this car has been for sale for awhile, though that particular ad shows a recent posting. Very nice looking car, and I could live with driver quality paint. The interior and top all need doing, having a good trimmer install that correctly you're looking at $3000-3500 for the top, $8000-10000 for interior in decent leather, including materials.

Based on that, I think price is a little high. My personal opinion is $40-45K should buy a car in that condition. Good luck, it does look like a solid car, and if it drives well you could enjoy it as is and work on it as time and money permits....

You wouldn't want to live with that interior Trimacar? LOL

First thing I thought was who in their right mind did that to the interior when you look at the rest of the car.