1940 Lincoln Zephyr V12 Shift Column Questions/Parts Needed!

Guest David Dixon

Guest David Dixon

Hello all, I am attempting to finish a restoration that somebody else started and apparently got bored with. This can be a frustrating endeavor. Can somebody look at the photo I have included and tell me if I am correct in believing that the shift arm should move up and down, causing the inner shaft to move up and down within the body of the column? Mine is locked solid. It was obviously painted in place, you can see the rubber has been painted right over. Any thoughts?

Also, I need a significant percentage of the shift column parts in order to assemble it. I have the steering column and the shift column (shown), but thats about it. Boos-Herral and Merv Adkins do not have all the minor bushings/hardware/clips/etc that I need. Is this assembly similar to another vehicle? I am interested in buying a complete used column if someone out there has one.....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave

Lodi, CA

post-54058-143142726983_thumb.jpg

post-54058-14314272701_thumb.jpg

post-54058-143142726983_thumb.jpg

post-54058-14314272701_thumb.jpg

The shift handle tube has an internal rod that is sticking up in your photo.. which secures in the top of the bowl of the column

with a flat washer and a c clip. The other , lower end of the tube has a spring sticking out of it...it secures to a cup like piece that clips onto the spring..

that is it..very simple device..

Do you have the shift levers??

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

Guest David Dixon
The shift handle tube has an internal rod that is sticking up in your photo.. which secures in the top of the bowl of the column

with a flat washer and a c clip. The other , lower end of the tube has a spring sticking out of it...it secures to a cup like piece that clips onto the spring..

that is it..very simple device..

Do you have the shift levers??

Thank you very much for the photos and information! I do not have the shift levers, but I contacted Merv Adkins who indicated that he has ALL (I'll be satisfied with MOST) of the parts that I'm missing for the shift column, including the shift levers. I have also learned that Boos-Herral has the shift levers, so they are available.

Just so I'm clear: the internal rod inside the shift tube is supposed to slide inside of the shift tube, correct? Mine is frozen solid. I figure the shift handle is supposed to be able to move up and down, causing the internal rod to slide up and down inside of the shift tube. The shift handle looks like it should pivot about the pin that is visible at the base where the shift handle goes into the body.

Thanks again for your information and photos! Photos of that particular area are difficult to come by.

Best,

Dave