37 Dodge Truck

Guest Jamie Clark

Guest Jamie Clark

Hello all my fellow enthusiasts. I recently purchased this truck and want to drive it in the great race this coming year down 66. I am wanting to improve the experience a tad bit though for my elderly co-pilot by having AC, power steering, higher gears in the rear end, an easier suspension and better breaking ability for the long mountain situations. Can any of you tell me the best vehicles to steal from to accomplish some of these things. I know it isn't exactly the traditionalists style to do this but I would like the experience to be pleasurable.

• 4 weeks later...

Aftermarket AC units can be purchased from street rod sources. May rob the small 6 banger of power though. Disc brake setups may be available also although properly restored originals should work well. Use lower gears for descending mountain roads. These are not high speed vehicles under any circumstances. A high speed differential may end up overdriving the truck and make it unsafe. A properly restored front suspension and steering should steer easily. These trucks are not heavy. Your goal to drive the Great Race sounds fantastic. I'm restoring a 37 for a customer now.

Luck. John Worden