Throttle body coolant pipe

zoltanb

Has anybody bypassed the throttle body coolant pipes? Unless you live in the great white north there really is no need for it and may even lead to better gas milage as the idea is to get cold air in not preheated air. I thought about tapping some threads in and a bolt and a plate for the other end. Any thoughts or insights?

Guest Mc_Reatta

I've done this with good success one one of mine. Live in the sunshine state, so warming of the TB is not needed. I used these min-freeze plugs with some sealant. Unfortunately. they aren't stocked in stores, so you have to piggy-back them onto something else you're getting to make sense.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-autograde-steel-cup-expansion-plug-1-2-in.-height-0.300-555-005/16140172-P?cm_mmc=ET-_-Trans-_-Confirmation-_-General#utm_source=et&utm_medium=trans&utm_campaign=confirmation&utm_content=general

They come like 10 in a box so only order one.

Ditto on removing them. Mine is summer only so I have found no issues without them, plus, R&R of the throttle body is a snap afterwards. I tapped mine for pipe plugs and JB welded in place. The plate idea over the lower one with the threaded studs should work fine.

Guest ensign83

Lots of F-body 3800 and LTx owners do this. Dont expect power gains and yr cool...

Wanted to do it but with climate change So MD gets some COLD winters lately.

Finally got the inserts, cost $5 for ten, if you order from advanced auto only order one . Here are a few pics. The one thing you do have to do is drill the hole out to 1/2" --- not as scary as it sounds. I put a little permatex sealant on and drove it in until the plug was below the bevel with a 10mm 1/4 drive socket and long extension. The other end cut a piece of 1/4" stock drilled the holes used a new gasket. Works great took about 1 1/2 hrs.post-78046-143142729233_thumb.jpg

post-78046-143142729223_thumb.jpg

post-78046-143142729227_thumb.jpg

post-78046-14314272923_thumb.jpg