Hvac troubles!

Guest R3D

Last year we got temps of about -30 f. I remember because I was out off roading and got my truck stuck on a piece of equipment I couldn't see under about 2 feet of snow. I seen something a while back about 3 major grounds that might need to be checked? Needa get this fixed asap.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Usual suspects for blower fan not working with proper display on CRT/controller would be blower power module, blower fan motor, fuseable link.

Do you have a voltmeter or trouble light?

Yea, checked relays and fuses, all is good. I was going to try to jump the blower but I cant find it! If I cant figure it out soon, i'm selling the crt and swapping a touch screed radio and aftermarket heater in.

Yea, checked relays and fuses, all is good. I was going to try to jump the blower but I cant find it! If I cant figure it out soon, i'm selling the crt and swapping a touch screed radio and aftermarket heater in.
I say go ahead and do it now. Sounds like you think is would be an easy job so why wait?

Cant tell if your being sarcastic or not. Either way, cash don't grow on trees and I'm not working a street corner. Gotta wait until i get some cash saved up.

I couldn't tell from the initial description of the problem if this is a new issue or it has always been this way? I am not sure about when the a/c is on, but in any heat mode, there is a delay in the heater fan engagement until there is some heat in the engine by design.

Guest PontiacDude210

Your crt does a lot more than radio and heater and you don't want to do an electric aftermarket anyway. Just have some patience in the diagnosing process. As far as the sarcasm, you can never tell with these guys. Least I can't. The sense of humor is very different in the Buick community from the rest of the 'net.

Search the three grounds. I'd do 'Reatta ground' and see where that gets you, or check the ROJ.

That's because the Reatta tends to attract nerds. The complete 1989 FSM is available from the online site mentioned earlier but as mentioned the most common failure is the blower module. Once you find the blower module (almost everything other than the connector is hidden in the passenger side heater duct under the hood - it faces up.

I usually just pull the two pin connector with the big wires (motor pulls up to 15A) and short together - the fan motor should come on. If not you have a different problem and need to troubleshoot. The FSM has an excellent schematic and diagnostics charts in section 8A-66.

Do no ditch the CRT. First, as already stated, it is an integral part of the car's instrumentation. You cannot access diagnostics, radio, climate control or any of the status warnings without it.

Second, it will cost you more to do a half-assed job of eliminating the CRT (with all the issues above already noted) and put in a new heater and radio than to fix it the right way. Even with an aftermarket heater you will have no functional defrost mode for the front or rear windows and that is a safety issue.

Yes, it is not convenient to have to troubleshoot and repair these things. Yes it costs money, and I know things can get tight. Step back, take a breath and re-evaluate your approach. Doing it right makes sense even if you have to wait. You will create more problems and aggravation for yourself by trying to skimp with a poorly thought out workaround.

People on this forum are willing to help you along with getting it right if you are willing to put forth the effort needed. You will not get people advising you how to do things the wrong way; that's just not how we roll here. We like to see these cars maintained, not hacked. The latter usually leads to the car being junked or parted after frustration has set in from too much money and time being wasted trying "alternative" fixes that don't work out.

And I'm not trying to be condescending or harsh, just being honest. Doing it (anything) right will be greatly to your benefit as you will learn something and not make more problems for yourself later. It will also help maintain the value of your car, where gutting out key components makes it worth less.

Something to consider.

KDirk

I just hot wired the blower fan, had to replace the old blower was locked up. Think its the blower module. The car is a beater until my truck comes out of the shop, honestly if it doesn't sell I was going to run it in autocross (the "rallycross" at the fairs with 20 cars and jumps). I understand the crt runs the gauges, i was just going to run a gps for speed. As for the diagnostics i don't like the system anyway.

Ok, if the plan is to tear it up in an off road event then and then junk it, it probably doesn't matter. I was of the impression you were planning to fix it up for use as a daily driver.

You might consider taking off some non critical parts and trying to sell them (like the CRT and IPC if they work) which would gain you a bit of cash and prevent them from going to scrap when you are done with the car. I don't know what condition the car is in overall (no pictures in this thread) so can't say what else might be worth trying to pull and sell. Nice interior pieces are getting hard to come by, so if you have good seats, door panels and such those might be worth trying to sell also.

I make that suggestion because the rate at which Reattae are being scapped is accelerating and many useful parts are going to the crusher now as a result. I have been stockpiling parts for a while now, as owning 4 of these cars makes it a neccessity if I'm going to keep them on the road. I'm sure others are doing the same, so decent condition parts that are reasonably priced will usually sell to someone wanting to preserve their car without too much effort.

KDirk