89 Chrysler TC

Budtee

I just purchased 89 Chrysler TC with 9,400 miles on it. Several minor (I think) problems.

The power seat buttons have become detached from the wood grain plate on the console. They work but I want to remove the woodgrain or console to find some way of attaching them.

The Infinity radio did not work and I put another Chrysler radio that I had. It did work but had way too much base and the speakers rattled. Then I connected a MP-3 that plugs into the cigaret lighter and play thru the FM. The sound was perfect. Do I have a bad amp or what. If so, where is the amp and how do I get to it.

How do I take out the instrument cluster. The bulb on the Right turn arrow does not work. Also the tach needle does not go back to zero when I shut the engine off.

Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Not good news for the seat switch mounts, you will need to remove seats to gain access

This should answer all your radio and speaker questions, each speaker has it's own amp http://www.allpar.com/stereo/speaker-repair.html

This should help you get at the instrument cluster and then some http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f144/268791d1410291524-odometer-replacingtcodometergear.pdf

Not good news for the seat switch mounts, you will need to remove seats to gain access

This should answer all your radio and speaker questions, each speaker has it's own amp http://www.allpar.com/stereo/speaker-repair.html

This should help you get at the instrument cluster and then some http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f144/268791d1410291524-odometer-replacingtcodometergear.pdf

Thanks! -- I can only think of one other thing at this time. Can you recommend a treatment for the leather seats. When I was looking for the TC , every one I found (with ginger seats) was in poor condition. These are almost pristine and I want to take care of them properly.

Thanks! -- I can only think of one other thing at this time. Can you recommend a treatment for the leather seats. When I was looking for the TC , every one I found (with ginger seats) was in poor condition. These are almost pristine and I want to take care of them properly.

Leatherique is the best and only thing I will use. It is expensive but well worth it. Ebay has good prices as well as mfg. online.

Bob

Regarding the leather treatment. i have been using 2 products for a long time Lexol leather conditioner and Nestsfoot oil - natural oil derived from cattle; the same material the leather is made of. if you are not going to use the car for a while, the neatsfoot oil takes a long time to soak into the leather, a few days sometime depending upon the dryness of the leather. i have used it on TC, Jaguar, and Citroen, all good results as well as the Lexol with good results. Below is the information on both products. Good luck with your TC.

Lexol Conditioner is an emulsion much like those used in leather tanning so it puts back the essential oils to nourish and protect leather.</SPAN>

It is concentrated, so it cleans effectively with a considerably smaller quantity of product.</SPAN>

The modified oils in Lexol Conditioner are retained in the area of application to protect against migration, or seepage, into adjacent materials or surfaces</SPAN>

Neatsfoot oil</SPAN> is a yellow oil</SPAN> rendered</SPAN> and purified from the shin bones</SPAN> and feet (but not the hooves</SPAN>) of cattle</SPAN>. "Neat" in the oil's name comes from an old name for cattle. Neatsfoot oil is used as a conditioning, softening and preservative agent for leather</SPAN>. </SPAN></SPAN>

Neatsfoot oil is used on a number of leather products, although it has been replaced by synthetic products for certain applications. Items such as </SPAN>baseball gloves</SPAN></SPAN>, </SPAN>saddles</SPAN></SPAN>, </SPAN>horse harnesses</SPAN></SPAN> and other </SPAN>horse tack</SPAN></SPAN> can be softened and conditioned with neatsfoot oil.</SPAN></SPAN>

Lexol Conditioner is a liquid conditioner and preservative intended for use in the care and conservation of leather. It works to preserve and maintain the strength, beauty and flexibility of leather -- old and new -- and to help restore resiliency to old or neglected leather that has become hardened and stiff. </SPAN>

keep the sun off the seats

cover them

cover car

car in garage

sun shade for the windshield when parked outside

I live in AZ where the interior of cars turns to powder.

I also put a dash mat and a steering wheel cover on all cars. Have the windows tinted. When parked I have a large black cloth to put over the gauges so they don't fade out. Seat covers are a must here. When the interior of cars is 170 F and the UV is unrelenting, not protecting the car from the sun is just about as bad as rust.

I saw a TC in a wrecking yard this year and not one interior part was useable due to sun rot. The leather looked like it had been out in the sun for 100 years.

The Infinity radio in the car had another wire and "some device" attached to the back of the radio at the ground strap connection. I have not been able to pin the noise down to one of the 8 speakers. I have had several Chrysler products and many different radios but none ever had the extra wire at the ground strap connection. The radio I installed worked fine in a previous car. Could this be my problem? Also, is it worth trying to get the Infinity radio fixed?

The Infinity radio in the car had another wire and "some device" attached to the back of the radio at the ground strap connection. I have not been able to pin the noise down to one of the 8 speakers. I have had several Chrysler products and many different radios but none ever had the extra wire at the ground strap connection. The radio I installed worked fine in a previous car. Could this be my problem? Also, is it worth trying to get the Infinity radio fixed?

If it looks factory, the device off the back of the radio you're looking at is probably the antenna control relay.

The extra ground wire had me puzzled for a while when I swapped the factory radio for a newer Chrysler AM/FM/CD w/tape unit, these cars only had one option and that was the CD player. They were wired ready to factory install or dealer add.

I was not happy with the sound from the newer radio and went looking for the reason why it was muddy and distorted. I went back to the original radio, the newer unit added bass and loudness that over ran the on-board amps.

The factory radio is still one heck of a unit, when it works. I can be fixed for a price if you can't do it yourself and keeping the car factory original, is a personal choice. Keeping the factory radio so that it can be returned to original is a good idea. People laughed at the Edsel and made jokes about it for years; forty years ago you practically had to give one away to get it out of your garage; today people pay money to get a close look at one and those wonderful Wander Bar radios that got tossed when they stopped working way back when are worth money today.

The Infinity radio will accept MP3, or you can feed internet music from your phone to the CD input on the back, nice feature for an old unit, I decided it was worth keeping, even if the tape player is a pain to keep working.

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I now have the seats out, all screws are out and the button on top of the shifter is removed.

I am not clear on the green cable and bolt for the shifter under the console. Do they have to be disconnected? Does the shaft come out with the console?

To get the console off you must remove the gear shift lever. To remove the gear shift it takes a 2.5 MM allen wrench to back out the set screw that face forward on the shift. The green line needs to be removed which requires removing the bolt holding the line in place. It is the pointer next to the gear shift showing what gear the car is in.

Thanks to all of you. The console is ready to be reinstalled. Another question. I have an 89 SOHC with 9,500 miles. It has gold center wheels. I have never seen a TC with these wheels. I don't think they are after market wheels and they don't look like they are painted. Was this an option?

post-89098-143142833949_thumb.jpg

post-89098-143142833942_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all of you. The console is ready to be reinstalled. Another question. I have an 89 SOHC with 9,500 miles. It has gold center wheels. I have never seen a TC with these wheels. I don't think they are after market wheels and they don't look like they are painted. Was this an option?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]281607[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]281606[/ATTACH]

The pic only gets so big on my small screen, but my opinion is they look good on your car. Best guess from what detail I can see is that they came from a 90's Lebaron.

I agree with Digger that the wheels are probably off of a Lebaron. With those wheels, body color and trim the car really is beautiful. The only factory options were the engines in 1989 and 1990. The CD player was an option but was not installed in the factory but in the dealership because of the high theft rate of radios in Italy.