Wiring Question for 54 New Yorker Deluxe

Guest FloridaRust

Guest FloridaRust

Well got the car running, lights working and most other parts. Once satisfied I pulled off the instrument panel to clean up the wiring. Well loan and behold another cluster of mess. My question is where does the with wire go from you defroster side? It was clipped off and only trace I found was on the windshield wiper motor wheres there is a connecter on the side. All the other wiring is A- Ok . Also Where can one find a 6 volt vibrator for the radio. I rebuilt mine and only lasted 4 days. But atleast I got some use out of it.

matt, I sent you the wiring diagram this week. you should get it today if you have not already received it. it will not show where a ground wire goes, only that it must have one for each item. I thought I remembered that the ground on my car defroster motor went to the back of the radio. anyway, almost any metal surface will do. there are plenty of screws holding the dash together. any one that is underneath so it won't show will work as a ground. not sure where the hot wire comes from, but I can look on my car and try to see and let you know. try this guy for the vibrator joe--910 471 7900. he repairs old radios. capt den

If you can get the cover off the vibrator, many of these fail because the contact point get dirty and pitted. They can be cleaned up with a point file or a good crisp dollar bill.

Your electrolytic capacitors are most likely bad after 60 years. There is a large one in the power supply section, and maybe a half a dozen more smaller ones, each one can cause the radio not to function.

It is not a difficult repair.

• 5 months later...
Guest VegasChrysler

i just bought a 54 chrysler new yorker coupe and i need a wiring harness, but i dont know how many circuits or fuses i need. any recommendations or info will help alot

Guest Bob Call

Vegas Chrysler

Chryslers of that era do not have fuses, they have circuit breakers. I would suggest you contact Rhode Island Wiring inc. about a new wring harness. They can provide one that is an exact copy of the factory original. Contact them and tell them what year and model Chrysler you have and if it has Torque Drive or a Powerflite transmission, power windows, power seat or Chrysler Airtemp A/C. It will not be cheap, but, better than Chinese crap that others sell and none of the stress of trying to do it yourself. If you try to do it yourself and use all of the correct sizes and colors of wire and correct connectors you may spend close to what it costs to get the real thing from Rhode Island Wiring.

www.riwire.com

Do you have frayed or broken wires, deteriorted insulation, or, do you have a circuit that isn't working like it may have a blowen fuse? If it's the latter it may be a tripped circuit breaker. Get a service manual (check ebay), a wiring diagram and a multi meter (a cheap one from Harbor Freight is OK for a continuity and voltage tester). When you identify the circuit, find and fix the problem and then reset the breaker.

Guest VegasChrysler

Alright thank you, that's great info and I will look into the website. I just purchased the car and I believe it has all this options you mentioned , and I was going to pay to get it installed but I wanted to Donny own

Guest VegasChrysler

Alright thank you, that's great info and I will look into the website. I just purchased the car and I believe it has all this options you mentioned , and I was going to pay to get it installed but I wanted to Do a little research and ask around first

Guest Bob Call

If you buy a wiring harness from Rhode Island it will come with installation instructions written by an English speaker. There is absolutely NO reason to convert to 12 volt. If all of the electrical system is in good condition with clean tight connections and correct size cables and wires it will work just fine on the 6 volt system. Chrysler products were positive ground 6 volt, remember that when connecting battery cables. Also the correct size of battery cables is of paramount importance. They should be 0 (ought) or 00 (double ought) gauge. 12 volt battery cables are 4 gauge which is just too small for 6 volt. Also, 6 volt positive ground radio will not work on negative ground. Converting to 12 volt is a PITA for no good reason.

If the car has factory Chrysler Airtemp trunk mounted A/C I believe 1954 model cars were 12 volt systems. That may be only on Imperials, I'm not sure.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Guest VegasChrysler

thank you very much all that information helped me alot. i spoke with 2 companies; RIwire and YnZ. they have the main harness but not a harness for the power windows, domelight, and tailights. if i have the originals they can make me one to match.