1960 Vacuum diagram? Exhaust leak?

50Traveler

I am still getting acquainted with my 1960 Adventurer. It joined my 1947 DeSoto coupe just a week and a half ago.

I have a blowing air leak that shows up near where the valve cover meets the intake manifold in the center. It is not that hot but is noisy enough. Would an exhaust leak show up here? It seems to me that the exhaust manifold is over on the other side and below the valve cover.

Next question. Is there a diagram anywhere the shows the routing of vacuum lines? One of them that comes out of the dash to the left of the master cylinder is plugged and not connected and it would be helpful to figure out where it goes so I can understand why it was disconnected.

The car is a wonder with A/C, an incomplete AutoPilot, a partially working power seat, and scary brakes. A V-8 is quite a departure from my more familiar flathead sixes though and I want to do right by the car and not ignorantly chase symptoms.

Thanks for any help,

Justin

You will get exhaust there. There is a crossover under the carburetor. I am thinking that these are all 'B engines or (identified by the distributor in the front) One of the easiest intakes to pull as you don't have water or distributor to deal with. Just undo the fuel, vacuum and throttle linkages then the manifold bolts. The valley pan is the gasket. (there are two widths of these over the years although in 60 there was only one, the narrower of the two) To change the gasket there are small bolts on both ends accessible after you pull the manifold. Usually this gasket/pan is supplied with a small tube of sealer.

I am not a Desoto guy, but I don't think they put small blocks (distributor in the rear) in the Desotos.

These engines are also famous for the valve covers leaking so if it were me I would take a close look for oil leaking onto the exhaust manifolds, the manifolds are very close to the valve covers and the gaskets tend to get crispy.

It would have been an easy fix but for the struggle to get the gasket and manifold under the A/C compressor brackets and one stripped bolt hole. All is back together now and today I'll fire it up and hope for the best.

Thank you for your insight and experience. Once I had it apart I could see how the exhaust ran and it all made sense.

Justin