Ran great when parked, needs TLC (photo of the day)

auburnseeker

Ok it's not a car but I was investigating the property around the new (old) house that my wife and I are buying and I came across this. Unfortunately I didn't have my Camera that day before the leaves fell but I brought it along today and snapped a few shots. I couldn't help but think it looked like they pushed it to that spot where there may have been a lawn to mow and never came back to finish the job. I didn't find the grounds keeper's skeleton so I have to assume he abandoned it and didn't meet his demise mid stream.

It reminded me of all those ads for old cars that say ran great when parked. post-43003-143142722938_thumb.jpg

It's a rootcutter.

That would be good if it was. As it is I was thinking of renting a commercial grade chipper but now I'm thinking of just buying one after having a good look around. It's a shame, the whole place was nicely landscaped and cleared 15-20 years ago. Now it resembles a dense new forest.

I mowed what lawn I could today, Starting with a weedeater, raking that up, a double pass with the mower, raked it again and did a final pass with the mower. That was after I went in with a pair of big brush cutters and lopped down the saplings. I'm making progress I think.

That would be good if it was. As it is I was thinking of renting a commercial grade chipper but now I'm thinking of just buying one after having a good look around. It's a shame, the whole place was nicely landscaped and cleared 15-20 years ago. Now it resembles a dense new forest.

I mowed what lawn I could today, Starting with a weedeater, raking that up, a double pass with the mower, raked it again and did a final pass with the mower. That was after I went in with a pair of big brush cutters and lopped down the saplings. I'm making progress I think.

I am doing a similar project, Don't be afraid to use the chainsaw with great vigor. 15 - 20 years of no pruning will require a huge burn pile.

You would actually be surprised how nice the house is. It's only 20 years old but has nice style and was extremely well built. The owner just got busy over the last decade and then finally remarried and moved away only using the house occasionally so when he was there he did as little yard work as he could it seems. He kept the house up though and always heated so it's in very good shape. Best part, there is room to build a very big garage and it has a nice 30 x 50 foot one already on the property to start with.

• 2 weeks later...

I unfortunately wasn't able to take the cars out over the past weekend which was absolutely beautiful and a bit warm for Yard work here in the North east. I was able to hear everyone else enjoying it though. :( I stuck to it and cleared most of the 600 foot driveway on the worst, uphill side. I remembered the camera today and took a couple of shots of the last 60 feet which I finished after taking the photos. Unfortunately until today my Chainsaw kept acting up so I cut down mostly the smaller stuff with a big pair of cutters that will cut through anything up to about 3 inches. I think I'm finally gaining. Now to get that chipper!post-43003-143142755746_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142755736_thumb.jpg

post-43003-14314275574_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142755743_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142755736_thumb.jpg

post-43003-14314275574_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142755743_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142755746_thumb.jpg

I've cleared a few acres by hand. I would HIGHLY recommend renting one of these for a few days!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]273195[/ATTACH]

If I had more of a field that may be the way to go especially if the growth was a little smaller. Looks like it still leaves a mess when you are done that I would have to pick up by hand. I've been cutting the stumps all flush with the ground so you can't see where any trees were. Neat machine for the the right applications though.

Wow, What did you buy? A small town? Looks like one long driveway! Beautiful!!!

It's starting to feel like a small town, especially after I spent all day cutting then have to drag the chainsaw and gear back up to the truck when I pick everything up. I think I'll just start leaving it where it is and pick it up on my way out.

It's about 6 acres and the house is on the other end of the property.

I've convinced my wife to let me buy a backhoe to help around the place and plow the driveway. Now I just have to find a good one. She found this on the web and asked if I thought this would be big enough. Not a backhoe but I told her it would probably work.JD-624E-80081.jpg

A good tractor with a loader and a backhoe is quite handy. Not cheap for a good one.

I'm hoping to sell the 48 Plymouth convertible and turn that into a 310 or larger John Deere Cat or Case. I've seen a bunch under 20,000. I'm just looking for the best machine with the lowest hours at this point so I'm holding out. Fortunately I don't have to sell the Plymouth first if I find the right machine so that helps a little.

Does anyone in the Northeast know of any for sale in their area?