Gas mileage in my 89!

Guest R3D

Getting 16 city 20 highway

Done a oil & filter change, air filter change

Just did the plugs and wires..

Ill let y'all know what happens tomorrow.

I did use the search tool, couldn't find much.

Thanks!

R3D,

On my last trip out to central PA., I got 26.~ eastbound and 28.~ westbound. Speed limit was 70 most of the way. I drive the limit. Everybody whizzes by and I then have the road to myself.

Here's another excellent site for Reatta info. Click here to visit Ronnie's Reatta Website

John F.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

Thanks! Poked around for tips on fuel mileage, my lifted 88 4runner gets better mileage then what I'm getting now lol. Ill change the o2 censor this weekend and see if that changes a thing, just hit 145k miles this week.

You should order the interrupter magnet to go with the cam position sensor. You are likely to find it is bad. Instructions for replacing it without tearing down the engine are on my website.

31NpQBVnTRL.01_SL110_.jpg

[h=3]Tru-Tech PC100T Camshaft Position Sensor Interrupter[/h]

Might I also recommend running a can of Seafoam theorugh the fuel system if you haven't already done so. It can help with rough idle and such. Instructions on my website tell the proper way to use it. MAF cleaner is can make a real difference if you MAF sensor is dirty.

41fX171WA3L.01_SL110_.jpg

[h=3]CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner[/h]

51vaFHC9B0L.01_SL110_.jpg

[h=3]Sea Foam Motor Tune - Up[/h]

Ill add the Interrupter, ill clean the maf & if I can find some sea foam laying around ill run it threw her. Might not get my order for a while Ronnie, student with limited income lol

Thanks machiner 55, but I already did the plugs and wires! It gave her some performance and better yet fixed the idle. Not a huge improvement on mpg maybe 1-2 miles.

Well my cat fell of on the way to school this morning. Ill be going to the scrapyard and scraping that cat. Be replacing the cat with a pipe, unless someone gives me a good reason not too.

Guest ensign83

Sounds like student life is the same now; my MGB-GT would loose its turbo muffler all the time, but of course had no cat'... and dont get me started on my HD Sportster! That AMF beast could shake it's paint off!

MD has no smog ck for 'Historic' cars, so I'll delete mine; any advice or dissent from the board?

... any advice or dissent from the board?

This is America and you can do as you wish (within reason). But, just because one isn't required to have a pollution reduction device installed on their car doesn't mean it should be deleted.

Here in Lake and Porter counties, we are required to have emissions checked every two years.

If I were to move out to an area that didn't check, I'd still install one. But... that's just me. (Hey... you axed. :))

R3D,

Probably won't cause any issues not having one but, is it the right thing to do?

John F

I am in MD also, I will also be tagging mine as Historic. I have to fix my exhaust also. Mine is rusted thru at the rear of the cat and where the shield was welded on. I am going to try to save the cat but not much left to work with in the back. So if the cat can not be re-used then a new one will be installed with replacement pipe that is bad. I will still have original pipe from the engine to cat and back from where the welded on shield was out to the muffler and tailpipes. I also had thought about just removing it, But MD can change the laws anytime so might as well keep it legal. The newer cats flow better than the old ones anyway.

Guest Corvanti

most all states vary in emission inspections. here in NC, the cat and emission equipment has to be in place in vehicles the age of the Reatta and older, but they don't do a "sniff test". i've heard of some folks (;)) cutting off the cat, cleaning out the interior and replacing the shell. nowadays, with freer flowing cats and pricing that has gone down considerably, there's not much of a reason not to replace the cat.

again: your state may vary!:)

Guest ensign83

Correct re MD, and newer cats flowing. Need to ck if mine is OEM or a replacement...

Rumor is O'Malley wants to increase Historic years from 20 to 25.

As for tree-hugging, a cat IS the right thing to do. Raised in East TN, I watched acid rain kill the fir trees atop the Smokies...

Running no cat will not affect the car (except sound of exhaust and the flow rate) inasmuch as the computer is concerned. No codes or squawking to deal with.

If you keep your car in top shape the absence of the cat will probably not effect an increase in emissions to any measureable extent. I have known of guys running a gutted cat where inspections (sniffers) were still required and passing anyway. YMMV.

If your conscience will bother you not having it on there then pony up for the replacement.

KDirk

Guest PontiacDude210

The original cat is probably ineffective or plugged with higher miles and age. I -happen- to know cat free runs fine on this car, but won't recommend it just because of the moral implications

My Toyota has a header to flowmaster exhaust, and my ramcharger has straight pipes just like the k20 i'm thinking of picking up. I just don't wanna mess with it to much so i might as well just gut it and weld it in.