Source for cotton batting, car seat renewal?

edselsouth1

You're correct, foam will not hold up over time. If you do research on current foams sold, you'll find they have a rating shown in years, such as "10 year foam". For a lot of the current "throw away" furniture, that's fine, but foam in a car won't hold up as well the older materials such as burlap, horsehair, and cotton. Yes, I know it's used in every production shop out there, but it has a different look, feel, and life, than other materials.

While the rolled batting shown will work (and I use it too), it's not as dense as the original pad that you show in your pictures. I wish I knew of a supplier for a denser cotton batting, something between that of roll batting and jute in density. I've not been able to find it to this point.

Commodore, Rusty_OToole, c49er, trimacar, Thanks for your links,and responses. Our "local" upholstery shops were less than helpful, and all (total of two, one furniture, one auto), said that they use only foam in refurbishing furniture/ auto seats. I've requested a sample of the roll cotton batting from one of the suppliers mentioned, and should have that in a few days. Hopefully, the project will progress sooner than later. trimacar, PM sent. Thanks, David.

jackofalltrades70. Thanks for your reply. I am using burlap over the spring assembly/frame, then canvas, some type of foam, the cotton batting, and finally the cover. Would sandwiching a layer of jute between two layers of the cotton batting provide more density,as the current type of cotton batting is less dense than that used in the 50s and 60s? If I do the "sandwich" thing, I'll wrap the "sandwich" in muslin to assure that it won't slip apart, before the final cover goes on. Thoughts? Thanks, David.

Not upholstery shops, upholstery supply shops. The place the upholstery shops buy their supplies from.

There are lots of little mom and pop upholsterers around, and there are suppliers that cater to them. They will not mind you coming in for enough padding to do one seat or asking questions if they are not too busy that day.

I wonder if the old padding was really denser or just packed down over the years?

Good question on the over the years packed down...

I've taken apart a lot of old car seats (pre WWII) and the material really does seem denser. Standard cotton batting one buys now has random fibers and is fairly fluffy, to use a technical term (!)...the stuffing I've seen in older seats has the fibers lined up somewhat, and in the case of pleated seats, sometimes the fibers are inside their own little sewn pocket, and that pocket inserted in the pleat. That way production needs could be met well, with one group making the stuffing, one group sewing, one group installing the stuffing...

I normally use cotton to stuff pleats, have used the combination cotton/jute when a flatter look is desired....but the cotton batting one gets these days is sometimes tricky to work with....

Polyester would probably work. I've never tried it, as my personal taste is to use original materials in an interior restoration, materials that would have been available when the car was built.

It's a philosophical viewpoint that many may disagree with, as a lot of people want to improve, not preserve.

I also spit tacks, but just so no one thinks I'm totally crazy, there are a very few instances (hidem welting, the thin strip on the rear of a Mercedes cabriolet top over which a quarter inch piece of chrome trim fits), I do own a staple gun. It's mostly dusty from storage....

Polyester would probably work. I've never tried it, as my personal taste is to use original materials in an interior restoration, materials that would have been available when the car was built.

It's a philosophical viewpoint that many may disagree with, as a lot of people want to improve, not preserve.

I also spit tacks, but just so no one thinks I'm totally crazy, there are a very few instances (hidem welting, the thin strip on the rear of a Mercedes cabriolet top over which a quarter inch piece of chrome trim fits), I do own a staple gun. It's mostly dusty from storage....

I replaced the seats in my 29 DB truck. Since I did not have frame and springs I went with hi-density foam base and a 1" softer foam cover. Seat is very comfortable.

I am sure the seats will outlive me.

post-71470-143142729175_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142729194_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142729175_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142729194_thumb.jpg

Trimacar -I found a nice heavy and dense batting at the local fabric shop. It's used for various sewing projects, comes in a 54' roll and was great for the underlayment for the Keller's vinyl roof. they also had an impressive array of burlap style fabrics. The batting is not real thick so it (1/4') requires multiple layers but that's my go to fabric for seat cover underlayment.

'

After looking at the suggestions and replies,I believe I am going to reupholster the seats as follows: Seat cushions, from the frame and spring up: canvas wrap, cotton roll batting, 1 layer jute, another layer of cotton row batting, muslin wrap, and finally the cover. The seat backs will be the same, less the jute layer. I might use a thin foam layer before the muslin wrap, but I'll try it without first. Only the seat cushions received a foam layer as original in the 1960 Edsels. Backs did not.

I don't have a problem with doing the layers and cover for test fitting a couple of times to get it right. When it's right, I'll then stretch and hog ring the cover.

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions. I'll keep you updated on the progress and final result.

David.

Some small bit of progress on the seat re-covering. Got the canvas on all of the seats this evening. Still awaiting the cotton batting to arrive. Should the first cotton batting layer be glued to the canvas, and subsequent layers of jute and batting just be laid on the toppost-70231-143142735541_thumb.jpg? Or should each layer be glued to the previous? Thanks, David.

post-70231-143142735516_thumb.jpg

post-70231-143142735531_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest buickkuhn

When I tore into my 41 buick seats - that batting was sown into every coil of the seat . I had to remove it all because of the guest living in it at one time . I then could tell it was removed and ended up using hog rings to connect the metal bars to firm it up a bit . Worked great . No I don't do upholstery but I did do my own seats .