1951-1954 Packard Engine Bolt Dimensions

Packard Don

I am looking to have a custom rotisserie constructed for upcoming Packard engine work but do not have one available for measurements. Can anyone send a layout or tracing of the block's front and rear bolt pattern and perhaps a tracing of the side motor mount patterns including the notch for the oil pump that the right mount has? I also need to know the size if the side motor mount bolts. Even good straight-on photos of these areas would be helpful.

Thank you in advance for any details you may be able to supply!

Thank you, yes, I had thought of that but the Packard side motor mounts are too far forward for it to work. On the sample you provided, whatever kind of engine it is has them near the center but Packards are well-toward the front so it would be impossible to balance it for pivoting without some expensive hydraulic system. I suppose I could off-set the attachment point for better balance so that is something to consider if it doesn't cause too much stress in the block casting, although I would still need the template for the bolt pattern.

Also, I want to make it compatible with pre-1951 engines that did not use the side mounts. I am actually looking at building two: one is simply for storage and top work that uses the end and side mounts; the other is a Rotisserie that attaches only to the ends. In fact, I may combine the two into one device if it seems practical.

Edited by Packard Don (see edit history)

I have used a standard bell housing mount engine stand for a Buick straight eight. I had to grease the pivot real good and use a crow bar to rotate it.

The engine was suspended by the lift when I adjusted the mounting arms and centered the pivot. I picked up the base and slid it on, then lowered the whole works to the floor. Although I could tell you are working at the limits of the stand it worked fine.

Bernie

Thank you for that. I can't do it that way because the engine will be remaining on the stand for some length of time and cannot be so insecure or unsafe. Does anyone have an uninstalled Packard engine and can supply the dimensions requested from it? Having those, I can then best decide how to move forward.

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any '51-'54 Packard owners in the Riverside, CA area who are willing to speak with my builder and possibly allow them to look at your engine? If it's out of the car, then all the better but it might help even if it's installed. Please PM me with your contact information including a telephone number for them to call. Thank you. Don

Edited by Packard Don (see edit history)

No, I haven't yet because I wrote to him several times about other things and never got any kind of reply so I thought he might have been too busy with work or with his projects. I thought of posting to the forum but I had the impression that the same people here are also there. I'll give it a try, though.