24 studebaker special six, wood spoke to disc wheel & rear brake drums

Guest hank22

Looking to change the old rotted wood spoked wheels to a set of disc wheels. The wood spoke wheels belong to a 1924 special six. Does anyone have a set of disc wheels they are interested in selling/ trading for other studebaker parts? Also interested in finding a set of rear hubs with brake drums, looking for a brake drum diameter of 15"

Hi Hank, I cannot help you with the disks but I am interested in what you are considering. I may be in the same position. Is no one making repo wood spoke wheels for the Studebakers?

I don't know for sure Peter, but I think the answer to your question is most likely no. Take a sample out to the Reynolds museum and see if someone there can do it or knows someone who can. Otherwise, learn a new skill. That is one of the joys of this hobby. :)

Terry

I have a set of new spokes for 4 wheels (48 spokes) that I believe are for a Special Six. The individual spoke length is about 8-1/8 inches, not including the dowel on the outside end. The wheel diameter in the photo (less the dowel length) is 18 inches and the dowel diameter is 5/8". The spokes are numbered for ease of assembly. I believe these are for a 20" wheel. I can take some more measurements if needed.

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.com

post-66547-143142737453_thumb.jpg

I checked my parts catalog and found that in 1924, the Special Six came with either 24" rims (for high pressure tires) or 20" rims (for baloon tires). In 1925 only 20" rims were offered. Best of luck with your project.

Scott

Hi Terry, It is tempting to try the woodwork. As an aside but on a related note where can one buy tires for the mid twenties cars in Canada??

That is a difficult question, Peter. Unless you can find a local supplier, we are pretty much stuck with ordering from US suppliers. It is economy of scale. There isn't enough demand in Canada to make it profitable for a tire company to consider stocking tires which have a limited appeal. On a side note I have discovered that Coker Tire is now offering new wood spoked wheels.

www.cokertire.com

Terry

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)