New to forum: 1988 reatta

Guest ensign83

Guest ensign83

Greetings, Mike here,

Last weekend my Son and I bought a red/saddle '88 with 145k miles. I am already finding this forum really helpful!

Driving to work today my car cut off and/or died a few times. My negative battery cable was a bit loose so I tightened it, and hope it was my problem.

Before that I replaced the plugs with NGK 55s, swapped in the Delco ICM and coils as my Motorola was leaking green, did an oil change to Walmart synthetic oil, and the usual wipers, bulbs, and such. Next will be fuel filter, assy belt, etc.

The PO had put new tires and battery and brakes in, and the AC/climate control all work. Cruise control and rear defroster do not respond to stimuli, and the cassette deck just clicks when I insert a tape. Worst radio reception of any car I've ever owned, and the speakers are tired. CRT works fine, and I got an extra with the car.

Drivers seat is broken at the inboard hinge, and the motors are disconnected, so that is my next main project. Paint is original, and loosing clearcoat in the usual upper surfaces. Leather is still intact except on top of the wheel, and responded to Lexal well. Cannot get the inside cabin door to the trunk open, and the headliner is just starting to fall.

To me, it drives like a combo of previous cars I've owned: Lincoln MkVIII, Alfa 164, and of course the 1990 Olds Trofeo for obvious reasons although not as sharp as that FE3 car... After 9 days, i am a real happy fella, but hope that power glitch is just the battery cable loose!

I will study the how-to's diligently, but if anyone has any 'do-this-first!' warnings for me, don't be shy!

Guest Corvanti

welcome aboard!:) first thing i would do is get a Factory Service Manual (FSM) if you haven't already.

also check out the ROJ site: http://reattaowner.com/roj/

there are many "tutorials" for problems that arise, plus "The Reatta Store" for parts and much more.

since you already had the neg battery cable problem, i'd suggest checking out these grounds: http://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/62-electrical-system/other-electrical/224-ground-terminals-junction-box-location

many other things to check out, but "run, drive and stop" should be first!

Not just the bolts, the bushings and retainers as well. There are six total (three per side) that hold the entire front cradle to the body. If these fail, the results could be very bad (loss of control, wreck) so check the rubber bushings and see if they look decent.

Also the bolts and metal retainers can get rusty to the point of material loss and compromised strength. Really can only make this determination by way of removal of said parts. If the rubber looks bad these all have to come off for replacement anyway. As this is a safety-critical item just like brakes and steering, one should be sure the bushings and hardware are or not close to the point of failure.

KDirk

Mike, welcome to the forum. I thought I'd mention the fusible links, I had to change out all of mine, I think there are 6 of them. You will have to pull the antifreeze reservoir to get better access to them. If you still have the original battery cables, you might consider changing them out , maybe with the exception of the starter cable as long as it works. Those old cables might have corrosion in them. The problem is they don't make the three wire side mount connectors anymore, as far as I know. Now I'm not suggesting you do this, but this is what I did. I bought an Interstate battery with both dual posts and the side mount terminals. I split up the cables and used post type adapters on the side mounts, I don't care for the side mount adapters. I know it looks weird, but it works for me. Hope that helps.

Mike

Mike,

Here's a link for Reatta Resources both here and over at the Reatta Owners Journal (ROJ).

Also, here's a link to Reatta.net. This is where you'll find the online manuals for your car. You'll have to register to get your login ID and password for access . On the main page, click on the word *Documentation* the follow the instructions. Might be a week or two 'til you get it but, it's well worth the time spent.

Your Cruise control not working could be as simple as a vacuum line leak.

The engine cradle, well that's another matter altogether. Look here.

The biggest asset for you will be learning how to use the *Search* function on this Forum. Lots of info on just about every topic has already been covered.

John F.

Guest PontiacDude210

Welcome to the forum! I'm a newbie myself, also with a well aged red/tan. The guys here are really helpful, and there's years of good advice under the search function. I find unique ways to break things so sometimes the search function isn't as helpful. Reading through the advice you got made me realize I have a semi important need for cradle bushings and bolts and plan to get those done this winter. Best of luck to you.

Edited by PontiacDude210
Poor attitude (see edit history)

... Best of luck to you, and remember, with a Reatta, you're working on it to enjoy the experience, because they literally appreciate no value ever. ...
I agree that they are a lot of fun and enjoying them should be the primary goal in owning one. For me, that is the reason I own one. However, I think Reatta owners making statements like that in a Reatta forum is part of the reason they don't appreciate. As Reatta owners, if we don't place any value on them potential buyers won't either. Just my 2 cents.

Guest PontiacDude210

Wow, I can start a fight anywhere. Apologies, Ronnie. The Reatta will one day be a collector car, but watching dozens nicer than mine be torn to pieces and then crushed has got me disheartened.

No fight has been started and no apology is needed. I was agreeing with you for the most part. My car is by no means a collector car and I'm not a collector. I'm a driver and that is all I want to be. This subject has been covered many times here on the forum and for the most part we all agree that the Reatta has not reached, and may never reach, true collector car status or bring collector car prices in the near future.

My point was that we can all help improve the image of the Reatta by making positive comments (they are fun... they are enjoyable... help with repairs is great, etc) instead of making negative comments about them. I have made my share of negative comments about the Buick Reatta. We all get disheartened about our Reattas at one time or another. I guess it is just part of the process of getting use to being a Reatta owner.

Guest ensign83
Welcome to the forum! I'm a newbie myself, also with a well aged red/tan. The guys here are really helpful, and there's years of good advice under the search function. I find unique ways to break things so sometimes the search function isn't as helpful...

Thanks again, everyone! I am sure I've fallen in with good company...

As a working Dad, my M.O. has been refining an unappreciated classic into a good daily driver that is fun. With this Reatta there is more at stake however; sold my motorcycle to get some funds for this Buick, and am without for the first time in 46 years! And ol' Red is replacing a Z28, so the 'standard' is high tho not for MPG (23). Yet, with my time as pilot of a Trofeo and other 3800 cars, as well as advancing age I feel I will love the quiet, comfort, and handling of this SWB E-body. 'Dude has a good take on appreciation and 'the crusher', and so I do not have to sweat where i park, or hustling down a back road, etc., and posting said joy may help resale value.

All the sites are excellent, and I've been a member of many BBS and forums but y'all are good. Concur that a search function only goes so far regarding 'the latest', but always start there.

Wilco re cradle bolts as this was a PA car, and will ck the links asap. Already sussed out the vacuum lines and harnesses so will search cruise control, and the non-op headlamps are well-covered. Am guessing that the broken hinge on the driver seat means unobtainium parts, so hillhippy engineering will ensue. Cassette player, dashlite dimmer slider and stuck trunk access door will have to get in line.

Trip computer has my 3-4 commutes at 23.8 mpg for 90miles/day, 60% hiway/40% city driving. Has that been the forums' experience? I had a 3800 5sp Camaro 4th gen that did it in ~27mpg, and they weigh about the same... maybe the Series II v6 made the difference... shoot, my MkVIII got ~26. But I got this Buick 'cause it is sublime!

later

wow! I've driven my 88 coupe about 500 miles this past couple of months. The car says it's getting 14MPG. I figured a tumeup might get me up to 18-20 just like my other 6 cylinder car ('09 Escape). Is it realistic to expect 23+ MPG from the Reatta? BTW - I have already started my springtime to-do list. Plugs & wires, Get A/C working (replace compressor), four tires, Rear axle replace. Guess I'll add cradle bolts / insulators to the list.

Guest PontiacDude210

0_o I thought I was the only person ever to be missing that slider. I think typically I have done better on mpg, just because my daily 40 mile round commute is 90 percent setting the cruise at 60 and encountering 2 stop signs. The Reatta does as well on mileage as my old 2.4l sunfire which tended to kinda lack in top end pickup.

Guest Mc_Reatta
wow! I've driven my 88 coupe about 500 miles this past couple of months. The car says it's getting 14MPG. I figured a tumeup might get me up to 18-20 just like my other 6 cylinder car ('09 Escape). Is it realistic to expect 23+ MPG from the Reatta? BTW - I have already started my springtime to-do list. Plugs & wires, Get A/C working (replace compressor), four tires, Rear axle replace. Guess I'll add cradle bolts / insulators to the list.

Three simple things to add to your list to improve MPG are, clean the MAF and IAC, and replace the O2 sensor.

Your mileage will then depend on how long you can maintain steady speed above 40 MPH with a warm engine. Stop and go on short runs that don;t get the engine warm are killers. MPH starts dropping again once you get over 65 too.

On my last trip out to central PA., I got 26.~ eastbound and 28.~ westbound. Speed limit was 70 most of the way. I drive the limit. Everybody whizzes by and I then have the road to myself.

" and the cassette deck just clicks when I insert a tape." If I remember correctly, the cause is due to old stretched out belt(s). There used to be a belt kit sold. Don't know if they are still available or where to get them. If you can find them and you're handy, it's a DIY project.

Re. the engine cradle (sub-frame) bushings (insulators/isolators).

There are several threads that cover this topic. Here's one (click).

John F.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

It is realistic to expect 23 mph in your Reatta. I seldom get on the interstate and I average 18-24 in mixed in-town and 2 lane highway driving. It's not unusual to hear people say they get 26-30 on long interstate trips.

I agree that the Reatta can go even faster than 23MPH. In town it is probably prudent to keep it under 25. Just funnin with ya Ronnie.

Guest ensign83

:D 'better slow that Reatta down, son...'

I still need to replace the fuel filter now that a Seafoaming has been done. Cleaned the IAC, and the MAF will be next. Now the trip computer shows 24.6, but with less in-town stops...