motor removal 36 series 40

Guest essox

After much consideration I have decided to pull the motor out of my Buick this winter. I have the original manual and the Motors manual but neither give a step by step procedure for it. Does anybody out there have or know where I can get the instructions for this job? I see when installing it back in that there are numerous shims and such that need to be installed and aligned. Instructions for this are in the manual but I would like to have the whole procedure outlined for me. Any help would be appreciated. Tks

Guest Rocketsled59

We always remove the hood then fenders and rad supt as a unit. After un bolting the torque ball we ratchet strap the rear axle back to separate the trans from drive shaft. The rest is pretty straight forward. Fwiw I always take lots of detailed pics before disassembly. No matter how many you've done you never remember everything. Pics are a great help. Organization is a must. Label parts , fasteners etc. good luck!

Should have left it alone when she smoked after warm start up. Once I started with the valves I realized that I was opening up the proverbial can of worms and alas I was right. But winter is just around the corner and I have a heated garage soooo.....away we go! Tks for the info. Anybody else who would like to post please be my guest. Now preparing for the Jefferson car show.

• 1 month later...

I just pulled the 230 cid from my 1932 series 50. I left the trans in place and pulled just the motor. Not sure it was the right call. May pull trans anyway, as I can;t imagine how else to get the throw-out back in there and get it all lined up otherwise. That said, a crossmember between trans and clutch housing/engine mount prevents them from coming out (or going in) as a unit unless I pull the floorboards, too, and even then I think the steering gear would have to come out... These are not meant for easy disassembly!

Hopefully I won't have the same problem. I am starting in about 2 weeks and will post the progress as there doesn't seem to be a lot of advice on the project. Tks