Incorrect listing?

Guest hiyudon

HI All.

On ebay is a person selling what he claims is a "42 Dodge coupe. I believe it's a '46 but he says it's titled a "42. Anyone know if this is correct? If so, I'd think this would be a valuable car due to a newer body and older title. Below is the listing.

Thanks,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Other-DODGE-B-COUPE-BUSINESS-COUPE-1942-dodge-b-coupe-mopar-barn-find-rat-rod-gasser-project-/261593924179?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ce8368253&item=261593924179&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I don't think 42's carry alot more value because they are very rare. Especially one like the example on ebay that has been pretty heavily modified. Trying to find all the original 42 parts is often challenging especially 42 only trim parts. As much as most makes look alot alike the 1946 models there is a lot of subtle trim changes so very few moldings are usually the same. My guess on that car is it was a 46, they lost the paperwork and when it got reregistered they said it was a 42 and DMV put it through that way. If the paperwork problem originated when it was a 20 year old car, they were'nt nearly as fussy back then. It was a 50.00 car on the high end.

Many if not most 1942 cars had "blackout" trim (painted rather than plated) in order to conserve chromium for the war effort. '46's were basically the same as '42's with trim differences. It may be a '42 with a subsequent upgrade to a '46-'48 grille. I know of no advantage to titling a '46 as a '42. The serial number should tell it all.

Early 42's are full chrome. But this car seems to have postwar front end trim, as the 42 trim is more like 41's. The only 42 I think carries a bit of a premium is the DeSoto because the hidden headlights were dropped for 46

You can often tell from the safety glass codes. The window glass was dated on cars of that era. I ran across a Chevrolet that was advertised as "a very rare 1945 " model. I pointed out to the owner that it looks just like a 1946 and all the windows were dated 03/46 but he was not convinced. I think he is still holding on to his priceless gem.

Don

I have had several communications with the seller. We concluded that it is a 1947. Someone probably misread the year when when transfering the title. The down side to that car is the title is actually registered to the engine instead of the body serial number and the engine is now out of the car. He was considering pulling the auction until he got it straightened out.

Many if not most 1942 cars had "blackout" trim (painted rather than plated) in order to conserve chromium for the war effort. '46's were basically the same as '42's with trim differences. It may be a '42 with a subsequent upgrade to a '46-'48 grille. I know of no advantage to titling a '46 as a '42. The serial number should tell it all.

Actually most were not blackout. The 42s were introduce in October of 41 and blackouts started in January of 42. Production stopped around the end of January. The parts manual hints that blackouts started around serial number 30636724 so roughly 7,653 were blackouts. Prior to blackout regs Dodge started putting Deluxe fenders on their custom cars omitting the need to paint those pieces of trim. I attached pictures of a 1942 Dodge Convertible blackout. All the "Custom" fender skirt moulding and skirts are missing. That is how mine came and it was delivered on December 26th according to the build ticket, but mine wasn't a blackout.

post-40694-143142727487_thumb.jpg

post-40694-143142727455_thumb.jpg

post-40694-14314272746_thumb.jpg