Need help, Oil Check Valve

db17

I'm sending you the two drawings from the Dodge Bible in tif format so they are huge files.

In the meantime here are some photos of my '25 and the drawings in jpg format.

Just under and behind the hex head check cover is a nipple (and above the spring loaded check ball) which is screwed into the block whereby the internal supply tube gets the oil to spray into the connecting rod dips.

The copper tube goes to the oil pressure gauge via the bronze "collar like" fitting just under the check bowl.

the tube beneath the check has a hole of about 5/32" size to provide a sampling of oil for the gauge.

As you can see that part slips over the flared copper supply line and is soldered to it top and bottom. The inside has an annular groove cut in it so regardless of it's position is can pick up and distribute oil to the gauge.

Things like this aren't easy to explain but I hope you get the gist of the setup.

Originally the lines TO and FROM the pump were copper tubes (flared end connectors) which makes thing a PIA when you want to change oil.

I cut off the copper tubes leaving nipples to which I connected 3/8" ID rubber oil tubing and secured them with hose clamps.

When things are correctly adjusted you are dealing with a maximum of only 4 pounds of pressure so I have no fear of every having a hose come off or blow out.

post-93523-143142721187_thumb.jpg

post-93523-143142721214_thumb.jpg

post-93523-14314272123_thumb.jpg

post-93523-143142721243_thumb.jpg

post-93523-143142721256_thumb.jpg

Great pictures, just what I needed, I appropriate you taking the time to take the pictures and answer my question.

I don't remember anything that looks like that in my box of parts. As I have mentioned before I purchased the car and motor in boxes. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my engine and I'm finding out I'm missing that part. If anyone out there has an extra "oil check valve" I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks again, cahartly,,,

Thanks to your photo I went out and found the check valve. All I found was the T part, the part with the cap and spring with a ball bearing in it. I still need the length of copper tube that runs to the rear of the engine. Thanks Again, :)

Edited by db17 (see edit history)

GREAT!

You can make the copper tubes.

If you do as I did and go the rubber hose route you can easily make that oil gauge tap yourself too.

Get a copper plumbing tee and solder it to supply tube....OR you could get a flare tee as well.

I wouldn't use compression fittings for this application.

Thanks for the added info, I'll keep that in mind as my build goes forward. ;)

Also, FYI, the spring over the check ball is not very strong.......at all.

Don't go overboard right off the bat and ruin your oil pressure gauge....... :mad: