55 264-56 322 buick interchange

Guest 38buick55special

Guest 38buick55special

Hey guys, I was wondering if the front timing case cover and water pump from my 55 264 will fit onto a 56 322? If so do I use the 264 pulley or do I use the 322 harmonic balancer? If I use the 264 pulley how do I time it? If I use the 322 balancer is there a place to put the the timing mark from the front cover off the 322? Sorry if there are a lot of questions in this thread but I want to cover all bases

Now you asked a hard question. If the 56 timing tab will not fit on the 55 timing cover, then you will need the tab from a 55 322 since the 264 tab I is different. Then you will need verification that the timing mark on the balancer is in the same position :(. Or index the 264 pulley with the 56 balancer with a pulley attached and put your timing mark on the pulley and use the 264 tab.

Guest 38buick55special

No disrespect tank but I am thoroughly confused. I was under the impression the 264 doesn't have a timing mark. Isn't it timed through the bell housing? I am not yet experienced enough with nailheads to know. I unfortunately don't have the case covers in front of me to check if the 322 timing mark will fit on the 264 case. Does anyone have a picture of the 55 322 front timing case?

You may have missing parts on one or both engines. Get them out and together and show us what you have. The 264 has a timing mark on the pulley and marks and numbers on a tab attached to the timing cover. Pictures that show what you need are hard to take of installed engines.

No disrespect tank but I am thoroughly confused. I was under the impression the 264 doesn't have a timing mark. Isn't it timed through the bell housing? I am not yet experienced enough with nailheads to know. I unfortunately don't have the case covers in front of me to check if the 322 timing mark will fit on the 264 case. Does anyone have a picture of the 55 322 front timing case?

(I think) The 263 straight eight is timed through the bell housing. All Nailheads have that tab.

If that 56 322 is going into a 55 use the the 55 timing cover and water pump and the 56 balancer and pulleys.

... and the timing tab from the 56 and the water crossover manifold from the 55 and everything will function as a 55 with better and more powerful internals of the 56.