Model T Roadster sheet metal

crazycars

I am restoring a 1925 T roadster and everything is pretty well underway with the exception of the main body (often called the tub). (My turtle back is in great shape.) As you know, there are the two sides (one with the door, and also the back. My pieces are very frail and perforated with rust. I have seen patch panels in some catalogs but not complete panels. Has anyone had any experience with this issue and would you steer me in the right direction to purchase these parts?

Thank you!

mtfca.com also recently vastly improved their classified section. Now. It may seem a bit archaic by web standards today. However, that is how most of us crazy model T people like it. Check in with us. Read. Enjoy!

You may be able to get some good suggestions for salvaging badly rusted sheet metal. It really depends upon just how bad is it? And what do you expect from it? One of our regulars salvaged a really rough original body because it had been in his family since before WWII. It will never be a show car, but he is enjoying the car and rightfully proud of it!

I have used phosphoric acid to clean and alter rust before using oil based paints (disappearing due to the EPA). It used to work better than it seems to in more recent years. Other people swear by POR. I have never used their products, but have to admit that they may be the way to go.

This could also be a good discussion on AACA's general discussion section. Rust hits all marques and vintages. It has been discussed at great length on mtfca.com and they could be searched for quite a lot of good suggestions. Or it could again be a fresh discussion (although you may get a few people telling you to try searching old threads also).

I don't want to steal away AACA's people too much. My apologies if I have offended anyone here. Both sites have their advantages, and best audience. Quite a few regulars there are on here a lot also. I wander around here occasionally.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2