35 mph!

Rogillio

Drove the rebuilt engine of my 26 DB coupe to the grocery store today. Had to get on major 4 lane so got her up to about 35 mph. Think she will do 40 or 45 but speedometer is erratic.

I had had the palm to forehead moment when I shifted to what I thought was 2nd and realized it was 3rd and ran so much better/smoother.

So enjoying the car! Everyone I see waves and smiles. I hit the horn and they love it!

Your car has a different shift pattern than what you may be used to. I've driven a sedan with the owner showing me the correct shift pattern. Also you must double clutch while shifting. Also the car I drove did not feel safe driving faster than 35 but it could have been from something worn out in the front end.

I too did not feel comfortable exceeding 35 mph.

Please explained how you double clutch. I have been hitting the clutch and then feeling/listening/finessing to the next gear. Works sometimes......but not always. Sometimes I come to almost a dead stop before she shifts. Suggestions welcome!

I could swear 2nd was up and right but it'd been over two years since driving it.

Double clutching means to engage the clutch, go from gear to neutral, release clutch, then engage clutch go from neutral to next gear. I think that's how to explain it.

You are right about the shift pattern. I found it online. It is different than most cars in later years.

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

Well, yes on double clutch description, but you also (after going to neutral and engaging clutch) have to rev the engine to some magical rpm that matches speed of car to speed of engine to speed of gears in transmission...then engage clutch and shift...it's almost magical when it works and does take not only practice, but a feel and understanding of how things work...and, if you do it correctly, very satisfying....one important thing is not to rush the process, you're not in a race and the guy behind you can slow down, do it in your own time....

I've tried everything under the sun for smoother shifting but double clutching isn't it........I'm pretty much with Bleach on this one.

Best thing I can tell you is get into third as quickly as possible and let 'er rip....... :)

Double clutching DOES work going from 3rd to 2nd......... :confused:

I was told to double clutch on the way up and don't bother shifting down till car is almost stopped. Don't race the motor but get into top as soon as possible. The motor pulls in top from very low speed. My car gets upto 50mph easy but I try to stay about 40mph. If the car has sat for a while the tyres get flat spotted and need some time to get rounded again so go slow at first. There's nothing better than taking the car for a drive especially if it is running nice. I can not give any tips as I am no expert but after a while you will get the hang of it.

Regards Brian

So I should also do the double-clutching for going from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3?

You can get quieter upshifts by double clutching 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd but instead of blipping the accelerator to speed up the gears, you are having the engine RPM lower. Basically, in both up and down cases you want the engine RPM in the double clutch be the RPM that you'll be at in the final gear you are shifting too.

I double clutched my '29 going up in gear and down in gear....you get good at it after a bit. Sounds like a fun drive in your '26 to the grocery store!

I find when I do it best is when I am not even thinking about it. If, for whatever reason I actually consciously think about it, I am much more likely to miss the correct RPM on the engine and have a bit of noise on the shift. And the only real way to get so that it is all "muscle memory" is to practice, practice, practice. Fortunately, that means driving the old car so you are having fun doing the practice.

Yes but opposite from the video you will be slowing the gears instead of spinning them up, so don't rev between gears while upshifting.

Big truck drivers only use the clutch when coming from a stop. They will move the shifter to neutral with no load and wait for the gears to mesh and the shifter will mesh right in, revving on down shift and waiting for gears to slow when upshifting.

I had to drive my Maserati home once when the clutch cable broke, I got pretty good at it by the time I made it home. I had to stop at traffic lights twice so I killed the engine and put it in first gear and hit the starter when the light went green. I don't suggest this by the way, but it was an emergency.

I double de-clutch up and down. Up, the change is quicker (don't need to when cold though, just change quickly). It is hardest when warming up as you adjust the speed of change as the gearbox oil warms. When the car is fully warm, you might need a tiny blip on the throttle going up, too. Just remember, you are matching revs, engine and drive train.

DO NOT lug the engine at low revs (e.g. coz you are frightened of changing down). It is far easier if you do it early (e.g. on a hill) and give it a fair bit of Welly when you do. Don't be shy, give it revs. You need them. It is also far better on the bearings. Lugging the engine puts huge loads on the bearings, so you pound whatever is in the oil into the bearings. It doesn't take long to learn the right "feel" of accelerator, revs and speed to change silently.

Remember to vary your driving speeds while running in the new engine. Don't take a long trip at 35 m.p.h.