Aligning Doors

TKelly

Hi Guys,

Currently I am in the process of getting the doors on my '26 Essex and I was wondering is there any tips or tricks you guys have learned over the years I am aware to get the twist in the door right you can put a turnbuckle in. Currently one door is ok it opens and closes etc but the other won't open as I'd no following the shape of the cowl. Any input I'd appreciated.

Cheers, Tristan.

I never worked on anything that old. But, on the fifties and sixties cars, I would start by removing the latch pin so I could close the door without it latching. Then start by moving the door around until it was centered in the door opening with an even gap all around. Next move it in or out so it fit flush. Finally put the latch pin back, adjust it carefully up or down so it lined up with the latch, but with the door out a bit. Last, move the pin inward so the door shut perfectly.

Here is further food for thought.

Keep in mind that you are not limited to just positioning the door in the door frame (the opening in the body in which the door fits).

You can also change the shape of the door frame itself a little, by adding or removing shims between the body and the frame in front of or behind the door. Sometimes this is necessary in order to achieve proper alignment.

You'll also want to check the door hinges for wear and sagging, plus the door itself for sagging as well as the "twist" that you mentioned.

The door hinge myst be firmly anchored into the door frame. Sometimes the wood rots out and doesn't hold screws securely.