WTB Packard 356 engine

Volk

If you are patient, complete engines and tranmissions come up on Ebay all the time in various conditions from a pile of parts to totally rebuilt. Here is an example that recently sold:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Packard-327-Engine-and-Transmission-/161375980691?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2592c20c93&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=C%252FA8mMBjIyWqlTHwZCbnlOfAWJM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Dwight is correct, Packard in-line eights show up with regularity. Unfortunately, the 356 doesn't show up that frequently and tends to be a more expensive proposition when it does. If you are looking for a 1942 180 number correct 356 [CE500001-CE503371] I'm afraid a great deal of patience may be required.

...All the sizes are very tempting when rebuilt ones show up that have just been pulled out of a restored car by some rodder...

Very true.

Are the straight eights fairly interchangeable as far as years and sizes?

Yes and no. The 282-288-327 interchange more easily than the 288-282-327 with the 356. The 356 takes a pretty hefty radiator which may not easily fit in the space allocated for a 282-288-327. The Senior Clippers and Bathtubs have an additional 7 inches of wheel base (all forward of the cowl) which accommodates the 356.

Victor

I'm not getting your messages.

Are you sending e-mails? STELVIOGT@yahoo.com

937-478-6613

We also have an overdrive transmission, but its an R-11 and came out of a 1948 model with a 327 engine. I suspect that if one knew what they needed to do, they could mate it to the 356. I don't know enough about the the R-11, so perhaps it's a direct fit. I know that the R-9 is not a direct fit between the 356 and the smaller engines.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Victor

I'm not getting your messages.

Are you sending e-mails? STELVIOGT@yahoo.com

937-478-6613

We also have an overdrive transmission, but its an R-11 and came out of a 1948 model with a 327 engine. I suspect that if one knew what they needed to do, they could mate it to the 356. I don't know enough about the the R-11, so perhaps it's a direct fit. I know that the R-9 is not a direct fit between the 356 and the smaller engines.

Yes, I sent two messages to the STELVIOGT@yahoo.com . Something with the mail or they hit to the junk e-mail. Please send me more information about the engine: Dimensions with packing and shipping weight. I need to calculate the cost of delivery to Russia. volcov77@mail.ru

What is the true test transmission is needed for 356 engine?

Victor

I will e-mail you and see how that goes.

Are you looking for a non-overdrive transmission for your 1942? I believe we have one of those that will fit your car, taken out of a 1941 limousine. If you want an overdrive, both the R9 and R11 will work, but there was a small difference in the length of the output shaft (at least in the R9) when being placed in the 356 vs the smaller eight (or six). The R9 is correct for your car, but it's kind of a pain to find all the correct pieces to make it work. The R11 is a little simpler to install, from what I understand.

Victor

I will e-mail you and see how that goes.

Are you looking for a non-overdrive transmission for your 1942? I believe we have one of those that will fit your car, taken out of a 1941 limousine. If you want an overdrive, both the R9 and R11 will work, but there was a small difference in the length of the output shaft (at least in the R9) when being placed in the 356 vs the smaller eight (or six). The R9 is correct for your car, but it's kind of a pain to find all the correct pieces to make it work. The R11 is a little simpler to install, from what I understand.

Your message received. Posted a new message to you.

there engine on ebay right now:L it probably frozen for $85. He said he put penetrating oil in it.

I have extra standard transmission Say $650, I know it is good as it was from my Packard. replace it with overdrive.

have several junior overdrives, you need to change the input shaft to a senior from your standard you ahve know.. and the sun gear. (personally I use the junior sungear and not tear it apart.

Edited by packards42 (see edit history)