OIL FILTER for 1936 Buick

Budensor

Bud,

If you are looking for the true factory original oil filter used on the 1936 Buick it was a disposible Purolator metal enclosed element. They are very very hard to find. If this is what you want I do have one that I bought at Hershey about 25 years ago and never saw another one since.

Bud,

If you are looking for the true factory original oil filter used on the 1936 Buick it was a disposible Purolator metal enclosed element. They are very very hard to find. If this is what you want I do have one that I bought at Hershey about 25 years ago and never saw another one since.

Gary,

Thanks for your response. The few books I have show it as a AC and I though it had a replaceable inside filter that you dispose of. My car now has a FRAM like that. Is the filter you have is it the internal replacement one for the AC ? Thanks Bud

Hi Bud,

This is an interesting discussion. For historical accuracy the 1936 Buick factory installed oil filter was a metal enclosed filter with a non replaceable element. It is shown on page 29 in the 1936 Buick shop manual. These filters were made by AC and Purolator and were discontinued in 1942. After WWII your local garage would install the AC, Fram, Purolator cannister retrofit kit with the replaceable element. Here is a picture of the Factory filter I found years ago and I also saved the original one from my car that was on the car when it was stored away in 1941.post-58081-143142721343_thumb.jpg

post-58081-143142721335_thumb.jpg

Mark,

You are absolutely right. I tried to find the card I had for the suppier who did the Buick cannister conversion to make my history lesson complete. They cut the unit in half at the strap line and put a modern spin on adaptor and filter inside. The early Packards used the same type of filter and a man named Burr Shipley makes a similar conversion. Here are some pictures of the Parkard unit

http://www.packardclub.org/<wbr>forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=<wbr>2126

I recall seeing an original canister somewhere that had been modified to accept a modern spin-on filter inside.

Mark Yes,

Bob's Buicks Parts in Cal. Has 2 types with the modern spin-on inside but he doesn't show it for 1936's. And one of them looks like the one GaryH showed a picture of. But I'm not sure which one would be correct ( size ) ?

Thanks everyone

Bud Ensor

Bud, My original filter in the picture measures 4 3/4 diam by 5 5/8 high. Note that this is for a 1936 60,80,90 series 320 motor. The one in Bob's Automobilia Cat no OF-3159 will work.

Gary,

Thanks for Info and Help. I think the one from Bob's would be my best chose.

Thanks Again

Bud Ensor

Guest cccapt42

I would like to thank you guys for confirming that the filter Bob sells will be as close to the original as we can get. Since I am working on a 36 Century the same problem has come up. Have not purchased it yet, but now I have a better feeling that it will do the job.

Thanks, Les Monn