Best quality headliner company and replacement tips for 64 Riviera

rapom

I would like to replace my headliner and would like to know if there is a better company than Legendary for headliners. I have replaced headliners in 2 Mopars. One of them with the front and rear windows in.

Anyway are there any tips I should know about installing one in a 1st. gen. Buick riv. Or should I leave it for the Pros. (I would like to leave my front and rear windows in.

• Like 1

I used a Clark's headliner on my '64 when I did the major refurbish around 1994. The removable sail panels help a lot. I got those new. as well.

I am going to install a new one in a different color this time around. This time I will buy another from them. The only thing I didn't like was the folded edge of the bow seams faced forward. I don't know it that is the original way it was done. Looking in the window to show it off that fold shows. If it was reversed it would give a smoother look. And this time I am going to use silver, a lighter color.

This time around I will also replace the tack strips with new.

The original plastic U-channel above the windows was quite brittle in '94. I cut the long strips into sections about 3" long to have enough by leaving short gaps. I should be able to find fresh strips online now.

The only other caution is the chalk mark to align the center. Go lightly. Mine was black and I think there is still a faint mark. After doing a job like that you hate to screw it up with the wrong cleaner.

Anyway, I was happy with Clark's and happy with the job I did.

Bernie

• Like 1