Carburetor repair

Guest 1951Olds88

Guest 1951Olds88

My local shop, that employs mechanics that have their own antique project cars, has advised me that the carb on my '51 88 probably needs a rebuild. I saw that Fusick has that service, but they do not seem to cover my carb model Carter WGD (851). Also, I noticed a rebuild is not too cheap. (I know, this hobby is akin to standing under a cold shower tearing up $100 bills but we all love it anyway)

I have found the Carburetor Shop online and hope to hear from them whether they have a repair kit for the Carter. If they don't are there other suppliers that might be able to help? What advice can people with more experience in this area (probably about 98% of the members) give me? Is this a difficult task, if I start what are the gotchas to avoid.

Thanks in advance

Stefan

Guest 1951Olds88

Thanks to those that replied above,,,but the real questions remain unanswered. How difficult is it to rebuild a card with a kit? If I do it, what should I watch out for? I am not completely all thumbs when it comes to assembling/dis-assembling mechanical objects, so should I be able to rebuild myself? Especially without any specialized tools. Or are there some special tools that I would absolutely need?

STefan

Stefan - acquire a copy of the Oldsmobile workshop manual, and read the section on the Carter carburetor. It is NOT a difficult carburetor, although one adjustment is easier if you were born with three hands (or have an assistant present).

There are NO special tools required above and beyond some screwdrivers, a set of drill bits, an adjustable end wrench, and a large can of patience ;)

There are, however, a couple of special tools that were designed specifically for adjusting the carburetor that will make adjustment somewhat easier; and they can be displayed if you "show" the car. But repeating, they are NOT required. These would be speciallized measuring tools for adjustment (one is a 1/4 inch, but a 1/4 inch drill bit may be substituted), and a specialized bending tool (an adjustable end-wrench may be substituted).

You will also need a clensing agent.

When you call, will be happy to discuss.

Jon.

Guest 1951Olds88
Stefan - acquire a copy of the Oldsmobile workshop manual, and read the section on the Carter carburetor. It is NOT a difficult carburetor, although one adjustment is easier if you were born with three hands (or have an assistant present).

There are NO special tools required above and beyond some screwdrivers, a set of drill bits, an adjustable end wrench, and a large can of patience ;)

There are, however, a couple of special tools that were designed specifically for adjusting the carburetor that will make adjustment somewhat easier; and they can be displayed if you "show" the car. But repeating, they are NOT required. These would be speciallized measuring tools for adjustment (one is a 1/4 inch, but a 1/4 inch drill bit may be substituted), and a specialized bending tool (an adjustable end-wrench may be substituted).

You will also need a clensing agent.

When you call, will be happy to discuss.

Jon.

Thanks Jon, looking forward to talking to you. I have to visit the doctor for my back tomorrow, if the visit is long I may have to call on Tuesday. But I will call this week in your window

thx

Stefan

Thanks to those that replied above,,,but the real questions remain unanswered. How difficult is it to rebuild a card with a kit? If I do it, what should I watch out for? I am not completely all thumbs when it comes to assembling/dis-assembling mechanical objects, so should I be able to rebuild myself? Especially without any specialized tools. Or are there some special tools that I would absolutely need?

STefan

This article <==, about rebuilding a carb on a Cadillac, may give you some idea of what to expect? Edited by D Yaros (see edit history)

Guest 1951Olds88

Thanks Dave, that certainly tells me what I need to know, that I would need time and patience. The latter I have, the former just went away as, after working from home for a few weeks, I am about to go on the road again. So I guess I will have to pay Daytona to rebuild for me. Would have liked to give it a try but it looks like I have plenty of other work that I can (and will have to) do myself on the car. Including a new wiring harness

This article <==, about rebuilding a carb on a Cadilac, may give you some idea of what to expect?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1951Olds88
Why not get Jon to rebuild it? Shipping and return won't be much different to MO vs FL, but then I'm a firm believer in supporting the folks who help us out and offer advice on these Forums.
I agree with you, however, when I was viewing Jon's website, it indicated that they have got out of the carb rebuild business. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Stefan

Stefan - you are correct (unfortunately).

Our focus for the last 40 plus years has been on the manufacture of carburetor rebuilding kits, with a secondary focus on restoration of carbs (time permitting). With the resurgance of ethanol based fuels, most neopreme accelerator pumps will last anywhere from maybe 7 nanoseconds to maybe three weeks. As we make MOST of our accelerator pumps from leather (total impervious to ethanol), current demand for our rebuilding kits is the highest it has been in 40 years! We simply do not have time to restore carburetors. Not really what we wanted, but we had to based on the demands on our time.

And Glenn, thank you for the plug.

Jon.

Guest 1951Olds88
Stefan - you are correct (unfortunately).

Our focus for the last 40 plus years has been on the manufacture of carburetor rebuilding kits, with a secondary focus on restoration of carbs (time permitting). With the resurgance of ethanol based fuels, most neopreme accelerator pumps will last anywhere from maybe 7 nanoseconds to maybe three weeks. As we make MOST of our accelerator pumps from leather (total impervious to ethanol), current demand for our rebuilding kits is the highest it has been in 40 years! We simply do not have time to restore carburetors. Not really what we wanted, but we had to based on the demands on our time.

And Glenn, thank you for the plug.

Jon.

Jon, Thanks for the reply, as you know from our earlier communications I would have loved to have given you my business for a kit. However, with a number of things going with the car and in my life, I could not devote the time and attention to do the work myself. So I will have to 'outsource' the rebuild to another company. But I happy for you that your kits are keeping you too busy to do anything different. Nice to see success in these difficult times. And thanks again for supporting our hobby with your work.

Stefan