How to treat light rust pitting

Guest 1951Olds88

Guest 1951Olds88

Another question for the wise men of the AACA forum. What is the best way to treat light pitting in chrome surfaces to prevent spreading? For example, my '51 Olds 88 has some nice (partially) chromed hub caps but some of them have small (1" x .5") areas with pitting. Is there anything that I can or should do to prevent spreading or even to reduce the pitting?

Thanks in advance

Stefan

I use JASCO paint and prep for rust. It transforms the rust to a stable iron compund. At least it will prevent it from growing. Usually results in a black metal coating, but you can paint touch up the small areas with silver rustoleum paint or just leave the back areas along for character, At least the rust won't grow.

Stefan, I could be wrong but I don't think so. Jasco is also a metal etch and I believe it will etch the good chrome that surrounds the light rust you are trying to remove. One site on Google recommends using Jasco to etch good chrome so it can be painted over, I think this is the opposite of what you want to do.

Howard Dennis

Guest 1951Olds88

So if not Jasco, any other suggestions? My Dad and I did some work on our cars when I was younger, but that was suuuuuch a longtime ago I feel like I am starting fresh. Definitely forgot almost all of what Dad taught me. Which is why I turn to this group.

So if not Jasco, any other suggestions? My Dad and I did some work on our cars when I was younger, but that was suuuuuch a longtime ago I feel like I am starting fresh. Definitely forgot almost all of what Dad taught me. Which is why I turn to this group.

I was coning to suggest that you apply it sparingly in a test area.

You can get a small paint brush and just touch up the rusted area then after if appears bland wash the area clean.

This stuff and a few other actual convert the rusted area to an iron compound.

If you are afraid to use any chemicals, you can get a dremel motor hand tool and some small grinding bits, they are made of stone. With this you can abrade the rust away but then you will still need a protect coating to prevent future rust.

Guest 1951Olds88

Thanks again for the good ideas. I can indeed try out this approach on some chrome that is not so conspicuous (e.g. bumper) and if it works OK there use it on the rust in sight

Thanks again

Stefan, I've tried to make weak or damaged chrome look better on many cars over the years. I usually take some light duty rubbing compound to the chrome and follow up with a good chrome polish. Any pits at all are through the chrome and can't be helped or improved no matter what you do. The good chrome around the pits usually is dull and stained from the rust, that's the part that the rubbing compound can clean and make look a lot better. Once you polish away the dull and stained areas the chrome will look at least 50-75% better.

Howard Dennis

Stefan, I've tried to make weak or damaged chrome look better on many cars over the years. I usually take some light duty rubbing compound to the chrome and follow up with a good chrome polish. Any pits at all are through the chrome and can't be helped or improved no matter what you do. The good chrome around the pits usually is dull and stained from the rust, that's the part that the rubbing compound can clean and make look a lot better. Once you polish away the dull and stained areas the chrome will look at least 50-75% better.

Howard Dennis

Great idea.

I would try the dremel tool for bad areas, then use rubbing compound.

I have been using JASCO for heavy rust like under fendors, and on the frame.... in an attempt to get ride of the rust forever.

My favorite treatment for rusty chrome is to clean off the rust with a copper scrubbing pad and Pledge, then polish with Flitz, Simichrome or your favorite chrome polish. Then coat with car wax. You can build up several coats of wax, this will preserve and keep off rust but you must redo it every few months. How often depends on the weather, if you store the car indoors or not and so on. If you polish and wax the chrome when you polish and wax the paintwork you should be ok.

Guest 1951Olds88

MisterC9, Rusty and Jack,

Thanks for some great ideas, I will have to try them all. One question comes up regarding Rusty's solution, about the coats of car wax. As the car wax would need to be repeated so often, does anyone have experience with using one of the modern sealants, e.g. CCQuarz or Klasse, instead of wax?