1955 transmission question

Earl B.

Hello "B",.............The short answer is No.

The '55 dynaflow is all the same for the Special and Century and some components were unique to the 55 model. I am told that the Roadmaster and Super dynaflows were appx 1" longer but I cannot confirm that independently. A couple components internally may have been changed mid-year but not affecting application, simply production improvements.

Let me add this to the question.... I have an early '55 parts car and my car is a late car. Would you get my transmission rebuilt, or get the early one from the sedan rebuilt and then put it in my late car?

When I stop, and the car is in drive, it won't take off when you hit the gas. You can hear things moving, but it won't move, then it jerks and takes off. If you put the car in low, it takes off beautifully and then, slip it into drive about 10mph and it works fine and smooth as silk.

That jerking takeoff has got to go.... HEEEELP

Let me add this to the question.... I have an early '55 parts car and my car is a late car. Would you get my transmission rebuilt, or get the early one from the sedan rebuilt and then put it in my late car?

When I stop, and the car is in drive, it won't take off when you hit the gas. You can hear things moving, but it won't move, then it jerks and takes off. If you put the car in low, it takes off beautifully and then, slip it into drive about 10mph and it works fine and smooth as silk.

That jerking takeoff has got to go.... HEEEELP

Do the pressure tests (as outlined in the service manual) on the running car. With that info and symptoms, it will give the rebuilder a place to focus his attention. You can't do that on a parts car tranny. I rebuilt a parts car tranny that was very worn and abused so that I could do a quick swap...what a mess! I ended up with the original tranny. Always rebuild a known entity. Use the parts car trannny for parts if needed.

Also after doing the pressure checks you may have a diagnosis that does not require a rebuild.

Willie

• 3 weeks later...