1929 Franklin Mystery Device

pughs

I just got a new 1929 Franklin 135 sedan (at least new to me) and it has this thing on the intake manifold. I have seen many Franklins before but none with this device. Is it a top oiler or something else? Is it factory or after-market? Thanks.

Steve

post-31176-143142717358_thumb.jpg

post-31176-143142717365_thumb.jpg

post-31176-14314271737_thumb.jpg

Mike,

The car came from Missouri where it had been in a shed for probably at least 30 years. It is very complete and in generally good condition except the interior which appears to have been infested with squirrels. I cleaned out two 30 gallon garbage bags of nut shells and stuffing that covered every inch of the interior. I took a few photos after I cleaned out the inside. I still haven't had a chance to clean the outside except that I did wipe off the radiator shell and headlights. The tires were flat and hard as a rock so after I get some new tires under it I will be able to roll it outside to clean up the exterior. The serial number and engine number were not listed in the Franklin Club Directory so it may be that the car was not generally known.

Steve

post-31176-143142718008_thumb.jpg

post-31176-143142718013_thumb.jpg

post-31176-143142718017_thumb.jpg

post-31176-143142718025_thumb.jpg

post-31176-143142718031_thumb.jpg

post-31176-143142718035_thumb.jpg

Steve,

It looks like a NICE original car! It looks complete. Even the chrome from here looks great! How many miles does the speedo show?? You should seriously consider pulling the oil pan and cleaning out the bottom before you try and start, Check make sure all valves are free. Nice find....Wire wheels and all...

The odometer shows 40975. I will definitely clean the pan before attempting to start the car. I wiped the dirt off the chrome and it was shiny as you can see in the photo.

The car is complete but there are a few things missing:

Side Mount Locks and Arms (2)

Drivers Side Rear Seat Vanity

Dash Board Cigar Lighter

Ignition Switch and Key

Throttle Lever for Steering Column Under Horn Button (the original one is with the car but broken off)

Front and Rear Bumper Back Bars (the ones on the car are both broken)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Any pictures showing the oil delivery tubes inside the cover yet?

This type of oil deliver system works off of intake vacuum and meters a small amount of top end oil into the intake manifold where it is delivered to the cylinders through the intake valves. Marvel Mystery Oil offered a similar unit through the 60s.

The factory recommendation (10 Series) is to clean and re-oil the felt pads every 1,000 miles or every month (assuming regular use). During "regular" use, I make sure the pads are damp, and squirt the pads, rockers, valve tips, and stems. I would suggest that be done every two weeks.