1950 Chrysler Tires

Guest GreatGazi

Guest GreatGazi

I recently replaced the (old but low milage) bias-ply tires on my 1950 Chrysler Windsor with Coker radials. That resulted in a huge improvement in ride/handling. However, it also resulted in wheel cover "creep" where the wheel covers rotate around the wheel. This is apparently a well known problem which can cause the deformation or dislodgment of the valve stem. I have about 200 miles on the tires and have experienced catastrophic blow out of the valve stem as well as slow deflation. As the hole in the wheel for the valve stem is oval, and the valve stem seat is round, I opted for steel valve stems. I also placed rubber grommets in the wheel cover valve stem holes, but my tires continue to deflate, albeit slowly. Does anyone know if modern wheels designed for radials are available to fit to a 1950 Chrysler? Should I go back to new old style bias-ply with tubes?

I would think modern wheels would work.

If I am thinking correctly you may have to break off the pin that aligns the bolt holes and this makes for difficult alignment of the holes to start the bolts. Although you wont have to do that very often.

Don't break off pins, if you must use the wrong wheel just drill a hole in it. 5/16" if memory serves.

If you don't like the metal valves have a washer brazed or welded inside each rim, and use a modern rubber valve. I prefer brazing because it is easier to get it air tight.

A few blobs of silicone sealer on the rim will stick the hubcap in place, but allow you to remove it to change a tire.