Oil in Airbox

Guest BobFitz

I almost don't want to hear the answer.....I had to remove the airbox to replace a cooling hose to the turbo on my DOHC. Airbox had about 1 tablespoonful of oil in it. Looks like it came from the turbo hose going to the intercooler, not really sure. This was crankcase oil, not old dirty oil. Engine has been running fine, no smoke.

Bob

I almost don't want to hear the answer.....I had to remove the airbox to replace a cooling hose to the turbo on my DOHC. Airbox had about 1 tablespoonful of oil in it. Looks like it came from the turbo hose going to the intercooler, not really sure. This was crankcase oil, not old dirty oil. Engine has been running fine, no smoke.

Bob

If you haven't been in the box for a very long time this could be normal accumulation. Clean op the slop, replace your breather filter and keep an eye on it, these things meet Fed emissions and that means sucking crankcase fumes. If you have a real problem, your oil puddle will be back real soon.

Bob

I'll add my 2 cents worth to what Digger wrote. Because the air box is linked to the PCV system by a vent hose, the excess vapors seem to congregate in the air box. It is very common on all the turbo engines as there is quite a lot of combustion pressure produced within the engine when in boost mode and the PCV system is not functioning at that time, so oil vapors will develop and find themselves in the air box which is busy sucking in air for the engine. Sort of a vicious circle. Consider it normal. At least until it becomes excessive.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/7414e04e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/7414e04e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/7414e04e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Well guys- that is a relief. I have been doing some full throttle red line runs getting a baseline HP/torque reading on my G-Tech Pro. 160 wheel H/P and 220 ft. lb. torque is about the average.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by BobFitz
corrected torque figure (see edit history)