1989 Reatta for sale

Guest Robin S.

Guest Robin S.

1989 Reatta white/burgundy

I have an appraisal for $5250 in 2012.

I also have the original purchase invoice and most of the repair receipts from that point and up to when I bought it in 2012. I have all of the repair receipts since I bought it.

I posted that I am having an electrical issue and most agree that when I had the exhaust replaced the mechanic shorted out the computer. It's in GOOD condition according to KBB.

I do not have a garage so I feel it's time to stop parking this cool car on the street.

Asking $3000

email for photos

orchidnator@thetwoforyou.com

Edited by Robin S. (see edit history)

I would go back to the shop and tell them to buy a replacement ECM and BCM and make this car right. As it stands it looks like you are taking a $2000.00 hit. These parts can be bought for about $50.00 each and can be installed in about 20 minutes.

The website you can look at is www.car-part.com

After the parts are installed and the car is running right you can sell the car as a good running car. As it stands you will be lucky to get $1500.00 for it, because no one wants to buy a car that needs work.

Guest Robin S.
Totally agree with DAVES89!!!

I paid much less than the appraisal for it. It does run. I drive it nearly every day. I always thought car collectors bought cars in various conditions and enjoyed making them like new. So for a car collector to buy a car that needs repair should not be out of the ordinary. And if the repairs are so inexpensive why would anyone be put off by my asking price. Sounds like a deal to me.

Robin S.

I have to agree with the guys on this one Robin. If you try to sell a car with mechanical issues do not expect fair market value for your car. It would appraise at the absolute lowest value other than scrap. Craigslist is full of ads that list "great cars" for sale but only needs a $25 part to be perfect. Yeah, right. If the repair was that cheap why not just fix it and spare us the explaination. As far as collector's buying cars and "enjoying making them new," you may want to rephrase "enjoying" with _______. (You fill in the blank) I enjoy buying a car that everything works and runs great!

I paid much less than the appraisal for it. It does run. I drive it nearly every day. I always thought car collectors bought cars in various conditions and enjoyed making them like new. So for a car collector to buy a car that needs repair should not be out of the ordinary. And if the repairs are so inexpensive why would anyone be put off by my asking price. Sounds like a deal to me.

Robin S.

Robin, to the point of car collectors not minding if a car has problems... Car collectors and car restorers are not always one in the same. A true car collector usually has the cash to pay a premium price for a car that is low mileage and needs nothing. They purchase a car as an investment to put away in hopes of the price going up in the future. They don't want to do any work on the car if they can avoid it. If they buy a car that needs work they are likely to pay someone to do it to make sure it is done right and that it is in tip top shape when they get it back. Having to do that cuts into their potential profit. There are a few exceptions to the rule when it comes to car collectors, like Jay Leno, but not many.

Car restorers on the other hand do buy cars that need some work at low prices in hopes of fixing them up and then passing them on to someone for a profit. There are at least three things that a restorer will avoid unless the price is extremely low. Cars with a bad transmission. AC problems or electrical problems. As for your electrical problem that you say is an inexpensive fix... not having it fixed throws up a red flag to a potential buyer that there might be more to the problem than just a bad computer. He will think there is some reason you didn't fix it if all it needs is an inexpensive computer. Especially if you are truthful and tell him the problem started when someone was welding on the car.

I think the advice you are getting from other forum members that you should have the car fixed before selling it is sound. Good luck with your sale.

Guest Robin S.

That makes sense. I thought my asking price was attractive enough to make up for any repairs needed. I think I will have it repaired. I'll keep you all posted and thank you for the input. I just wish I could store it somewhere and keep it. :( I really love it!

Robin, to the point of car collectors not minding if a car has problems... Car collectors and car restorers are not always one in the same. A true car collector usually has the cash to pay a premium price for a car that is low mileage and needs nothing. They purchase a car as an investment to put away in hopes of the price going up in the future. They don't want to do any work on the car if they can avoid it. If they buy a car that needs work they are likely to pay someone to do it to make sure it is done right and that it is in tip top shape when they get it back. Having to do that cuts into their potential profit. There are a few exceptions to the rule when it comes to car collectors, like Jay Leno, but not many.

Car restorers on the other hand do buy cars that need some work at low prices in hopes of fixing them up and then passing them on to someone for a profit. There are at least three things that a restorer will avoid unless the price is extremely low. Cars with a bad transmission. AC problems or electrical problems. As for your electrical problem that you say is an inexpensive fix... not having it fixed throws up a red flag to a potential buyer that there might be more to the problem than just a bad computer. He will think there is some reason you didn't fix it if all it needs is an inexpensive computer. Especially if you are truthful and tell him the problem started when someone was welding on the car.

I think the advice you are getting from other forum members that you should have the car fixed before selling it is sound. Good luck with your sale.

Guest Corvanti

Robin, it's not as good as a covered building, but a "very" heavy duty car cover in your location would help tremendously. the best i've had was from "California Car Cover", but there are less expensive covers on ebay, etc... look online. just make sure you get the best exterior cover you can afford!:)

One more suggestion if I may Robin. To greatly increase your chances of selling your car, you should post photo's and not request the viewer to have to email you. I can speak from personal experience that sometimes you see a car online and it just calls to you. When in the market for a particular car it's so strange but you keep looking and looking them "BOOM," you see the car of your dreams. You think about it and think about it and the next thing your looking at it in your garage. If you make people email you first you lose the power of impulsive buying. Good luck!

Guest Robin S.

Again thank you all for your input. I had a number of inquiries. I had a previous Reatta owner look at it today. I was totally honest with her. She took it for a test drive and from what I could tell fell in love with it like I did. Sold it for my asking price. Made me sad to drive away and leave it behind, but on to new adventures. Thank you again.

Robin

Guest Robin S.
Wow, looked drove and paid full price. That has never happened to me, usually they negotiate, just a little anyway. After she drove it away did you feed your unicorn?

I not really that surprised. I fell in love with it when I saw it and drove it. I tried to negotiate when I bought it, but ended up paying full price because I wanted it. I had my bottom price in mind, I even asked them if they wanted to think on it, but they said the were good. Ok Then so was I. I feel that she will enjoy it as much as I did. So that made me less sad that it was gone.