Radiator question

Guest FloridaRust

Guest FloridaRust

For my 1954 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe, I got the engine and everything working and all. But need to find a tranny cross member, radiator and drive shaft. The older gentlemen 60's-75 of age told me they used to take tractor radiators and insert them in the late 40's and 50's cars. But was trying to figure out would this have enough coolant for a 331 Hemi engine without over heating?

I am looking for a radiator for my 1954 Windsor. let me know what you find for the new Yorker as I think if you get something that fits it will also work for me. I once used a jeep rad. in a 1951 buick and it worked just fine. I called champion but I have not heard from them. they do not list a rad. for any 54 Chrysler. your source for the other parts are the yards listed in hemmings. they should be easy to get.

If cost is an issue, you can buy a generic aluminum rad from Jegs or similar parts place. You will have to measure the opening, and make note of where the hoses attach and what size they are, and you will need to make mounting brackets. But this will cost about 1/3 or less what an original recored rad will run you.

The Chrysler is not hard to cool, a rad that will cool a 350 Chev V8 pickup truck or full size car, will cool your engine.

For the crossmember and drive shaft you could try advertizing in the Chrysler parts column. They are not the kind of thing parts places carry, except used parts or salvage yards. But, one of our readers may have something stashed away.