wireing problems

bdas

What year & make? Quickly it comes to mind that one (or both) that current is feeding across into another line. If the wiring is old ,the insulation may be cracked and touching another line. I just found this on a friends 37 dodge where a metal crimp(meant two tie the two wires together) cut through two wires: taillight and stop. Along with a poor ground due to a wonderfully painted fender & powder coated under carriage, when the headlights were on, a small glow was present in the stop light filament (same bulb). Also on older cars the current for running lights were fed through the turn signal switch, although the headlights were separate. Check the whole line using a circuit test light.

Year, make and model don't matter. Details of what has been done to the car or what condition it is in don't matter. What tests or diagnostics have been done, don't matter.

We are supposed to put on our Amazing Kreskin turbans and psychically diagnose the problem, and tell him exactly where to look, and how to fix the problem in 5 seconds at no cost, with no tools, no skill, no knowledge and no effort.

Sorry I forgot to put the car information. Its a 1928 Oakland and it runs good but I just noticed this problem. No test were done yet that I am aware of. I'm not looking for anyone to fix this for me, just suggestions what to look for. I will find the problem if I have to wire the whole car Thanks

Hi Bob.

I put my turban on.

Somewhere, the wire that goes from the brake switch to the brake light is connected to the running light wire. So, when you step on the brake; the brake light and running lights (i.e. tail light, cowl lights and low beam headlights) come on.

When I look into my crystal ball I also see that the brake light comes on when you turn on the running lights (i.e. tail light, cowl lights,and low beam headlights).

Basically, you have to follow the wire from the brake light switch to the brake light and see where it connects to the running lights.

I psychically predict the tail light wire and stop light wire are connected inside the tail light.

I hope that helps.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about the grounds. They are usually the culprit when the light doesn't come on, not when too many come on.

I foresee a bright future for you.

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Thanks for the advise I start trying to find the problem tomorrow. It looks to me that this is the original wiring harness and yes I have always had brake lights.

It seems to me that all the lights work the way there suppose to except when I step on the brake the headlights and side lights come on. Also sometimes the brake light sticks on. I'll check out the wires and also the brake light switch and try to see whats up. Thanks again for the help

Larry thank you for your thoughts I worked on it today and everything looks good that I checked I have to get into it deeper I now noticed the lights only come on when I hit the brake and the car is off couldn't get them to do that when the car was running

Thought I report back what I ended up with today on this wiring problem. took the headlights apart and the tail lights checked all the wires from the back to the front and check wires and connections under the dash. All seems to check out OK but maybe a problem with the connectors in the headlights and tail lights. The last thing I ran across today was when the ignition is on lights I have no tail light. when the switch is turned to the left (lights) I have headlights and running lights and brake lights all at once. Tomorrow I plan to start with the brake/running light and replace the connector and ground and do continuity check on the two wires running thru the loom. Also today I checked the brake light switch seems to work fine. Side lights seem to work like their suppose to. Headlights are disconnected for now.

• 2 weeks later...