Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels through 1957

lancemb

Okay, this is another topic that I think merits discussion among the 57 folks. I have spoken with a few people, including my father, who claim to have owned or known of someone who has had a 57 with wire wheels installed since new. The best explanation was that there were enough left in stock that some were installed by dealers when the cars were new.

It seems plausible to me, and if so, then wouldn't this be technically "correct" for 1956 and 1957 models?

For 1956 - they are factory correct. Offered on the option sheet from the factory. But the 1957 model year they may be dealer correct, but not available on the factory order sheet, nor on the official Buick offered dealer installed options. So, if you want to look cool with the wheels on the 1957, (which I think they do) then run with them, but for judging...points off.

Guest old rusty nuts

What is the problem with the Kelsey-Hayes fitting on front aluminum drums? A few years ago a friend and i were playing around with this match and every thing seamed to be OK. We never did fully mout them, IE did not drive the car, but nothing touched and seamed to mount fine.

I am running the K-H wheels, but before I mounted them against the aluminum drums, I looked for an interference. I found that there was about a .030" interference with the inner flange of the wheel with the drum. with a .060 wheel spacer, the wheel was allowed to pull down tight against the drum without stressing the wheel flange. I love those wheels. Then I have another set of wheels and tires to do it their way.

post-54279-143142717613_thumb.jpg

post-54279-143142717604_thumb.jpg