Correct Bumper '40 Cabriolet?

Ron K.

I believe this to be the original bumper but the hole in the lower center bothers me (sorry about being on its side, I couldn't figure out how to rotate it)post-80968-143142715223_thumb.jpg. I think that I have another rear bumper with out the center hole but it has a slightly different cosmetic design. What do you experts think?

post-80968-143142715221_thumb.jpg

Ron, I don't think you have the correct LC bumper. Most 1940 LC's had a bumper mounted rear tail/license ("cobra") light that mounted on the rear bumper with a center hole to mount the light. The real early 1940's had their "cobra" lights on a mount that was attached under rear of the car. This mount was later changed by Lincoln by mounting the light directly on the bumper. The bumper you have without a hole is a Lincoln Zephyr bumper as is your bumper with a below center hole? The correct LC rear bumper would have the center hole evenly spaced in the middle of the bumper. If your car has the frame mounted tail light then the "holeless" would be correct for your car. Don't know exactly with the mounting changed but it was early in the 1940 production year. If you go with the bumper mount, remember the hole needs to be square for the oval bumper bolt you will need to be using.

Interesting I have the body mounted license bracket, they must have changed it between my car yours which is only five numbers later. The shape of the bumper is exactly the same as the front bumper and the hole is round not square. I have forgotten what the other bumper looks like but will check it this weekend, the previous owner scrounged parts off of a '41 so I may still have some of those attached to my car.