1957 Buick - Info Wanted on Optional Side Trim Stripe Colors

lancemb

Folks, please help. Awhile back somebody had some documentation on the optional blue and green colors that the 57 Buick stainless trim was sometimes painted in the middle, instead of the default red. Mine was blue when I got it, but had been touched up sloppily with some other paint so I just repainted it all in red. However, now that I am getting the car repainted I would like to return the blue color.

I remember my dad having a Special with the original blue in the trim when I was a kid, but other than that memory I don't have any documentation of the original color.

Any info out there?

Thanks!

lancemb,

Inserted with the Spring, 1957 "BUICK" Magazine was a foldout, "Springtime In Your Buick", (or something similar) that intro'd the RM 75 and showed some of the new Spring colors on existing models. The Super Coupe looks to have a blue Sweepspear, and the Special Riviera sedan appears to have green. The RM 75 was officially announced during the week of March 11, 1957, and the Spring "BUICK" Mag came out in April(?).

57_springx-med.jpg

Larger

On May 10, they put out a Spring Color Supplement listing the DULUX formulas for the Moulding Accent Colors...

57_spring_colorsx.jpg

Larger

In the BPS 2.426 of June 7, on page 195, the Molding accent colors are listed (this is the same info as page 136, below, of the 1957 BPS, Abridged Edition noted in the post you linked to above).

57_colors_psb_859390.jpg

Larger

I just added the page 136 image now, but the other two images have been in the Photo Gallery for some years now. You may want to get in touch with the guy who has this late-'57 RM 76C. The RM converts with all chrome dashes (and aluminum drums) appeared at the same time as the 75's so, after talking about them as early as December, 1956, apparently the Spring was when they really started notifying everyone about the molding colors.

I wonder if Sean has a later '57 Order Form that includes the RM 75 and Spring colors, and if it includes Molding Colors?

Hope this helps in some small way,

TG

Just remembered about this AACA HPOF '57 Special that was making the rounds in 2011,

but have no idea if the Sweepspear had ever been touched up.

57_trunk_lining_46r1x.jpg

Larger

Note that it has black wheels but, again, don't know if they were ever repainted...

57_trunk_lining_46r2x.jpg

Larger

It wouldn't be too difficult to find out who showed it from the 2011 AACA Winners List,

as this was Bristol, TN, then try to get in touch with the owner.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

I wonder if Sean has a later '57 Order Form that includes the RM 75 and Spring colors, and if it includes Molding Colors?

Hope this helps in some small way,

TG

I have a revised wholesale car order form date June 10, 1957. It has the spring colors, the Roadmaster 75 (models 75 and 75R) and even instructions on how to order upper two-tones on 50 and 70 series Rivieras (http://forums.aaca.org/f162/clearing-up-speculation-whether-any-57-a-344459.html), but it doesn't have any information about ordering the optional sweepspear colors.

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)

Sean:

It is my understanding that if the tangerine wheels were ordered as an option, the sweep spear was also tangerine. If the option was not ordered, one of the coordinating sweep spear colors to the body color was shipped. eg; a mint green car got the dark green sweep spear. And, of course a red car got a tangerine sweep spear. The paint color numbers are listed in post #3. Oh, if the tangerine wheels were not ordered, The wheels were black and the back side of the wheel was grey.

Dan

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

Very cool, thanks for the info! I think I may try to find the car in the post above and ask for pics if it is original. I think i found some pics of another car that has original blue too as a reference. I was wondering if there is a way to translate the mixing formula from the known Dulux paint code. Is this the same Dulux that is in business today that seems to just sell house paint?

• 3 months later...
Just remembered about this AACA HPOF '57 Special that was making the rounds in 2011,

but have no idea if the Sweepspear had ever been touched up.

57_trunk_lining_46r1x.jpg

Larger

Note that it has black wheels but, again, don't know if they were ever repainted...

57_trunk_lining_46r2x.jpg

Larger

It wouldn't be too difficult to find out who showed it from the 2011 AACA Winners List,

as this was Bristol, TN, then try to get in touch with the owner.

TG

I tracked down this owner and confirmed that the car's paint and trim has been unrestored. He sent me a picture which I was able to compare to a piece of trim that I bought believed to have original blue paint, and was able to confirm with confidence that I had a match. This trim will now enable me to match the color for repaint. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 months later...